sidki's config set: previous
Mar. 25, 2004, 02:30 AM

Oddysey Wrote:The only thing is, Kye-U hasn't made a central file repository yet.
I read and I have gone with it and fixed the problem I was having when I installed paFileDB.

Feel free to visit it (the link is below the Main Banner, beside Rules).
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 25, 2004, 02:35 AM

oltelman Wrote:I was surprised it didn't pass the browser test at PCflank with the filters you have enabled by default, but that's not a great concern.
Don't worry about that test, it's just a way for them to "scare" people into buying their product.

Using filters to "pass" that test would cause more problems then help. Proxo is much smarter (Using "smart" filters.. heh) then to block what they call "privacy" leaks.. Wink

P.S. Did I use " " enough? [smoke]

In Proxomitron we trust.
Mar. 25, 2004, 02:39 AM

JD5000 Wrote:
oltelman Wrote:I was surprised it didn't pass the browser test at PCflank with the filters you have enabled by default, but that's not a great concern.
Don't worry about that test, it's just a way for them to "scare" people into buying their product.

Using filters to "pass" that test would cause more problems then help. Proxo is much smarter (Using "smart" filters.. heh) then to block what they call "privacy" leaks.. Wink

P.S. Did I use " " enough? [smoke]
Also, GRC.com uses scare tactics.

And most of the Spyware removers too, excluding Ad-Aware and Spybot.
Visit this user's website
Mar. 25, 2004, 03:29 AM

Hi oltelman,
oltelman Wrote:I can't figure out how to remove or hide the JS ad lines from a page.  I see you can do it on a temporary basis with the tool's toggle function, but would like to kill them completely.
sidki3003 Wrote:- This is still a test version. As such some debug/test filters are turned on that will be off in a later version. Most notably:
Display of all kills (header: "Set Flag display standard", web: "Show Position of removed Comments", "Show Position of blocked Scripts")
Disable those filters - they default to active in this version because i want lots of bug reports Big Teeth
Quote:I have several sites I visit when testing a new config and this one will start popping after I run the mouse over it several (3-4) times.  Test here!
No problem here. What's your browser (other specs: machine, OS may be usefull as well)?
Quote:I was surprised it didn't pass the browser test at PCflank with the filters you have enabled by default, but that's not a great concern.
I think JD and Kye-U hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the feedback,
sidki
Mar. 25, 2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:i added the following site to the IncludeExclude.ptxt like so

# allow Flash (flash)
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/wastedagain2000/ $SET(keyword=.flash.)
NZ Scanners
but it does not seem to work nor did adding the same line to the Geocities section either.
this was using IE6. i have added other sites to the allow flash section without a problem.
Mar. 25, 2004, 01:59 PM

Yeah that's the drawback with the "IncludeExclude" list: this problem is not hard to solve but hard to understand. First to your question.

A Proxomitron list is basically a huge filter with lots of matches, coupled with logical "ORs". That means that each entry should match only once.
Now, the current GeoCities section looks like...
Code:
# GeoCities
[^.]+.geocities.com/(^srl_list/)    $SET(keyword=.killposthtml.killpregeo.)
www.geocities.com/srl_list/  $SET(keyword=.killposthtml.killpregeo.)
  $SET(usercss=chocolate)
... which means that every GeoCities URL except Scott's page is "consumed" by the first match.

So adding your URL match to that section goes like:
Code:
# GeoCities
[^.]+.geocities.com/(^srl_list/|wastedagain2000)    $SET(keyword=.killposthtml.killpregeo.)
www.geocities.com/srl_list/  $SET(keyword=.killposthtml.killpregeo.)
  $SET(usercss=chocolate)
www.geocities.com/wastedagain2000/    $SET(keyword=.killposthtml.killpregeo.flash.)

Secondly, since this matter is quite important - i need to explain it as simply as possible somewhere in the config.
The header of IncludeExclude currently contains:

Code:
# Note: Each URL string must only match once!
# Example:
# Incorrect:
# [^.]+.yahoo.com/    $SET(keyword=.prefix.)
# login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify  $SET(keyword=.refr.)
#
# Correct:
# (^login)[^.]+.yahoo.com/      $SET(keyword=.prefix.)
# login.yahoo.com/(^config/login_verify)    $SET(keyword=.prefix.)
# login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify  $SET(keyword=.refr.)
I also want to add a note to the readme, something like:
Quote:- The general Include/Exclude List

When you are using this config, you will sooner or later need to add entries to the bypass/include list "IncludeExclude.ptxt". Each entry in this list needs to match *just once*.

Say you want to bypass all JavaScript filters on http://www.somesite.com/mypage/ but there already is an entry:
http://www.somesite.com/ $SET(keyword=.prefix.)

Adding ...
http://www.somesite.com/mypage/ $SET(keyword=.prefix.js.)
... won't work because "www.somesite.com/mypage/" is consumed by the first match.

So the correct way goes like:
http://www.somesite.com/(^mypage/) $SET(keyword=.prefix.)
http://www.somesite.com/mypage/ $SET(keyword=.prefix.js.)

Input on this is appreciated...
sidki
Mar. 25, 2004, 09:22 PM

Kye-U Wrote:
Oddysey Wrote:The only thing is, Kye-U hasn't made a central file repository yet.
I read and I have gone with it and fixed the problem I was having when I installed paFileDB.
The zip is now linked locally (first post and paFileDB) -- Thanks Kye-U.
Mar. 25, 2004, 11:45 PM

Howdy guys or gals! It's good to be back on a board. I'm mostly a lurker, but I learned a lot and have gotten some great configs and filters. Thanks a lot!!!
Quote:P.S. Did I use " " enough?
More than enough to make your point. I've used your config for some time now and the only way to pass the tests over there was to enable "no cookies" & "all referers". Blocking all referers has caused some undo pain, but easily overcome.

Quote:it's just a way for them to "scare" people into buying their product
Buy what? I've got Proxo. It's better than anything I've seen offered commericially. Since I dropped NAV, it's been freeware for AV, AT, spyware & network monitoring. I check a couple of good sites for reviews on the latest scareware.

Quote:And most of the Spyware removers too, excluding Ad-Aware and Spybot
Thanks Kye-U, but I haven't found a reason to use anything else. I am a fairly conservative surfer, but occasionally feell the bump of a shark on the bottom of my board.

Quote:they default to active in this version because i want lots of bug reports
Thanks for the heads up, understand why you would want them. By your quote, it appears I missed a thread. Sorry you had to repeat yourself!

Quote:What's your browser
PIII, W2k, IE6, up to date the last time I checked. (yep, still up to date according to Bill) Also using KPF 2.1.5
Again I don't take them as seriously as experiencing something like this on a site I visit regularly.

Quote:I think JD and Kye-U hit the nail on the head
And they usually do!!!

thanks for your response and to everyone else for providing feedback.

oltelman

P.S.
It seems I haven't learned how to use "quotes" correctly. I hope everyone can remember what they said to me. hehe
Mar. 25, 2004, 11:51 PM

thanks. i've got it working now.

presumably the keyword killpregeo is a purely geocities filter.
Mar. 26, 2004, 12:03 AM

oltelman Wrote:PIII, W2k, IE6, up to date the last time I checked. (yep, still up to date according to Bill)  Also using KPF 2.1.5
Again I don't take them as seriously as experiencing something like this on a site I visit regularly.
Sorry, i can't reproduce the slip-thru here No Expression -- Same setup as you. I suspected a timing issue (PIII 600 here).
Mar. 26, 2004, 12:05 AM

traviscn Wrote:presumably the keyword killpregeo is a purely geocities filter.
Yep - plus some Japanese sites i lost track of.
Mar. 26, 2004, 03:15 AM

sidki3003 Wrote:Sorry, i can't reproduce the slip-thru here No Expression -- Same setup as you. I suspected a timing issue (PIII 600 here).
Actually it's a Celeron 1.3 & I'm using a cordless keyboard and mouse. I don't know if that makes a difference, but since going to them I've had some strange occurances. Since I've cleared the cache (CTRL + refresh) it's become intermittant. Now after 15 - 20 passes on once in five tries. It's not the first time I've had unusual results with new filters. As I said, if this was happening on a site I visited regularly, it would be of greater concern. Test sites are just that, something to try and move on. One of the few sites of this type that I do place some credence in the results is Jason's Toolbox. Your filter set passes with flying colors there.
Disabling the filters you noted in your previous response made a big difference, especially at weather.com and a few others. thanks

oltelman
Mar. 27, 2004, 01:54 AM

Hi "~Sidki~",
I have been using Your wonderful New Filter set. And I must say that it is quite an "impressive" one. What I was wondering was, if there are any filters that one should "untick" if they are using Your Set along with My "Jakpack" set? I have "unticked" the two U/A filters that came with Your Set because of the U/A filters that are in Mine.

Again, I appreciate Your "efforts & talents", but most of all, . . .Your Friend-Ship. Cheers
Take Care & Have a Great and Wonderful Week-end,
"~JaK~"[smoke]
Mar. 27, 2004, 02:16 AM

Hey Jak,

Right now i would say it should work without disabling any filters.
The first filter is pretty important if you are *not* using a browser like IE, MyIE2, Sleipnir, NetCaptor, ..., because it sets a variable that is used to disable filters that would break your browser.

Other than that you should be fine because all header filters are immanently set to "multi", so to speak.

Have fun Smile!
sidki
Mar. 27, 2004, 02:58 AM

Thankx "~Sidki~" Smile!
Both U/A filters "enabled", . . .and still amazed at Your Filter Set. It does somethings I just haven't seen before.
You should be nominated for the "~Geekx Hall of Fame Award~" this Year! You've got My vote My Good Friend. Cheers
Best Wishes,
"~JaK~" [smoke]