Proxomodo UI
Nov. 28, 2004, 01:42 AM

Hi,
I'm very happy that someone has taken the initiative to clone Proxomitron.
My question is why don't you try to clone Proxomitron exactly as it is now? I like Proxomitron exactly like it is now and sure most Proxomitron users are used to it's ui. Why venture in a new UI?!
Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 28, 2004, 02:05 AM

i don't know what all the authors intentions are, but i, for one, would welcome a new UI with many more options and less txt file editing.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 28, 2004, 05:27 AM

Francisco Wrote:Hi,
I'm very happy that someone has taken the initiative to clone Proxomitron.
My question is why don't you try to clone Proxomitron exactly as it is now? I like Proxomitron exactly like it is now and sure most Proxomitron users are used to it's ui. Why venture in a new UI?!
I'm sure that there will be at least 1 person out there in the world that would probably sue Mr. Boucher for some copyright issue.

Plus, it's only 0.1, so you will expect and see a lot of changes over time. Cheers
Visit this user's website
Nov. 28, 2004, 07:35 AM

Hello,
Francisco, do you know any single book writer that would enjoy and spend their time rewriting letter for letter the books of someone else? Well, copying a software pixel-for-pixel is not funnier. Software development is agreable when there is a part of creation, of innovation in it. Plus, if you want exactly the same thing as Proxomitron, why wouldn't you simply continue using Proxomitron itself? Nothing can be a better clone of a software than the software itself! (Plus, I don't like Proxo UI.)

Hey Kye-U, I hope nobody gonna sue me Smile! On the prox-list yahoo group, there has been some smart girl asking me if she would be wise doing so..... [rolleyes] Ehhh, how better the world would be if people were not always trying to stab their fellow humans....

Kuruden
Nov. 28, 2004, 08:37 AM

Hi "Guyz",
I too am glad and thankful to have someone like "Kuruden" to pick up the PRoxo project. Smile! Most folkz do not like change, however, with any "new" change there are always "Growing Pains". I too am so used to the Proxo Main dialog box that it's alittle difficult to find where everything is in Proxomodo. But if I wish to switch I must learn to find My way around. I remember the first time that I installed and used "winXP" after using "Win98x", . . .wow, . .I felt like I had awoke in a three story house that I was unfamilar with, and all the lights and water faucets where all turned on "Full Blast", . .and I was trying to find My way around in it trying to turn them all off or down! Big Teeth But after awhile using XP I learned My way around in it. I'm sure that will be the case with "Proxomodo". It just take time and experience.

Best Wishes to One and All,
"JaK"[smoke]
Nov. 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

I am aware that GUI in 0.1 was not very functional. 0.2 should be much better in that respect (filter packs organized in a folder tree, and filters editable from the config screen). I think I will make it available tomorrow, if I can finish updating the help pages and do some tests on it.

Stay tuned Smile!
Nov. 28, 2004, 03:55 PM

I would suggest clonning Proxomitron as it is now and after finishing start adding new features and think in a new UI.
The UI can take a lot of precious time.

I don't think that anyone would try to sue anyone because of the UI, there're lots of programs out there that copied some of the UI to others.

Francisco
Nov. 28, 2004, 09:36 PM

Hi Francisco,
I understand your concern. In fact, it takes the same amount of precious time to create an identical GUI than a new one. So I opted for creating directly a new one (so that I won't have 2 GUIs to write but only the final one).
My targeted users are not Proxo users alone, but a wide range of users, including the many that never heard of Proxo before. It may seem pretentious, but I would like to eventually offer them something that has what's good in Proxo and an alternative for what's less good in it.
Nov. 29, 2004, 10:45 PM

kuruden;

It is never pretentious to aim for a higher goal than anyone else has previously imagined. Let the scoffers suffer in their own miasma as you continue to "make good even better".

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 02, 2004, 05:16 AM

^ditto^
Dec. 02, 2004, 04:15 PM

ditto - times two...
Dec. 02, 2004, 08:11 PM

For once, I would like to see some more "user friendly" stuff added to a program. Mainly, to let me nit-pick and micro manage without having to spend hours pouring over a filter trying to figure out what character is misplaced and causing it not to work.

I envision a Proxo proggie where, when you right click anything on a page (or a page itself) you can insert it into a proxo list via a drop-down menu. Basicly, no more "writing" filters. Imagine being able to add a site to your block list just as easily as telling proxo to recognize and eliminate embedded flash...

Blech. Integration and bloat. Slightly defeats the purpose, no?

I'll try being nicer when you try being smarter.
Dec. 03, 2004, 08:20 AM

a_s_b;

I like the idea of user-friendly, but can we satisfy both the power user and the newbie? Perhaps, only time will tell, but you're correct, it's high time that someone tried, and did more than just give it lip service.

kuruden, what a_s_b is describing is exactly what Norton does right now with it's ad blocker. When you see an ad you don't like (And that probably approaches 100% of all ads, right? :P ), you merely bring up the Ad-Trashcan, click-and-drag the ad into said trashcan, and Presto!, no more ad. Slick mechanism. Even better, if you wish, you can modify the address of that add in a dialog box (presumably to encompass the server where many such ads are stored). Now we're talkin' user-friendly!

BTW, FWIW, that particular scenario I just illustrated does not auto re-load the page. If you wanna double-check to see that you've done the job correctly, you must manually re-load the page. And these programmers are the high-priced spread. Go figure.

Quote:..... without having to spend hours pouring over a filter trying to figure out what character is misplaced and causing it not to work.

a_s_b, that's like asking the program to read your mind, not what you typed! :P Big Teeth [lol] But Cheers for the idea, it sure would be nice.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 03, 2004, 11:16 AM

i don't think the following are very good suggestions, but wa-da-heck...

AVAST anti-virus, which i think is killer (and DOESN'T have the word "norton" anywhere in it), has 2 UI's; advanced and simple. many other programs are like this as well. the good: that's obvious. the bad: a bunch of extra code.

i'm not suggesting that proxi follow suit here, rather that maybe designing proxi for the total newcomer, as well as the power user, may be difficult while keeping the code reasonably efficient at the same time. probably every programmer has to draw a line in the sand at some point and, maybe, trying to make proxi too user friendly would be a mistake.

if the problem gets big enough, then, what may make more sense, is 2 separate versions of proxi. both can be kept streamlined.

maybe plug-ins could be of use here too.
Dec. 03, 2004, 05:26 PM

I think Drag&droping an image to a trash can and recording the URL to a deny list could be done with some javascript inserted by filters (one to insert the javascript, one to insert a trash image in a floating layer, one to detect and process links to record).

For the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post, I won't write any browser plugin myself.

Btw, I suppose detecting config changes and reloading a page can be done with Javascript too. Remember, Proximodo does not monitor nor hook on the browser, it merely alters http and html going through it.