Feature requests
Nov. 30, 2004, 05:20 PM

Please use this topic for your suggestions regarding new features...

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>You may first check here for current TODO status.
</span>
</span>
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 01, 2004, 12:53 AM

OK! I'M FIRST! ... and i know this stuff is "down the road", but anyway...

while you're adding context menu options to the tray icon, maybe add a link to the proximodo home page, as well as a link to check the latest version. or maybe add the latter, or both, to the "tools" or "help" menu of the main UI.

one of the things i found to maybe not be as intuitive as it could, is the location of the "lists" files in the main UI which, currently, is accessed via the "settings" page. i'm wondering if this would be more at home in the "config" page instead??? or maybe allow changing paths on the "settings" page, but allow editing on the "config" page? my thinking is keeping all of the config options for the filters in one place.
Dec. 01, 2004, 02:51 AM

Ok for the homepage link and version checker (it could use a RSS feed Wink )

For the lists, I would rather design a new screen dedicated to lists, with more functionalities. For example, it could display the file content in a multiline text field for edition. Or offer a table with columns (Pattern / Comment / Nb of hits). I'd like to keep the config screen simple.
Dec. 01, 2004, 02:55 AM

hope i'm not being a nusience...

a context menu option to the tray icon to reload current filters (only available vie the main UI currently).

edit... and your idea to move (to a dedicated window) and add functionality to the lists sounds real good.
Dec. 01, 2004, 05:10 PM

kuruden;

(and others who have an interestWink
Quote:For the lists, I would rather design a new screen dedicated to lists, with more functionalities. For example, it could display the file content in a multiline text field for edition. Or offer a table with columns (Pattern / Comment / Nb of hits). I'd like to keep the config screen simple.
I'd like to expand on that a little, please.

For some kinds of things, a resizable editing window is good, for others, such a feature would really mess up the total package. I leave it up to you whether or not to make the multiline text editing window resizable. However, another reason (besides resizability) for using an external editor is to search for something. I don't want to generate a 200 item list today, then modify it next month with several duplicate entries, all because I've got OldTimer's disease. Searching allows me to check for something before I try to re-enter it again. Additionally, searching for text allows me to find a similar string, and copy/paste it to a new line for a slight modification.

Searching for text might go a long ways toward not needing resizability, if there are at least 4 or 5 lines to begin with. (My preference would be at least 10 lines, but I realize that for some folks, that would take up 3/4 of their screen!)

Oddysey

p.s. Yes, I'm starting to exhibit the symptoms. Sigh. But to make matters worse, the damned shame of it all is that my eyes are still better than most anyone else you'll ever meet. Plus, I can put Evelyn Woods in the dumpster when it comes to reading speed and comprehension. What galls me the most is that my comprehension lasts about 5 minutes, instead of my (former) usual 50 years. Bah! [angry] Getting old is a crock of sh1t! Don't do it!!

Who are you again? :P

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Dec. 01, 2004, 06:20 PM

Offering file edition within the GUI has advantages:
- the GUI can offer a Find function, and duplicates find & remove
- editing comments and maintaining stats
- if there is syntax highlighting some day, it would also work here
- the app knows when lists are manually changed and can re-parse them (currently, there is no auto-reload, because we don't monitor files on hard-drive)

Resizing Proximodo window or resizing Notepad window, what is the difference?
Dec. 01, 2004, 08:33 PM

kuruden;
Quote:Resizing Proximodo window or resizing Notepad window, what is the difference?
First diff: You have to leave the desired application (Proxi) to use Notepad. Not bad, but not necessarily good either.

Second diff: You can resize Notepad at will, it's a stand-alone app. But resizing an editing field within another application (again, Proxi) may not be conducive to good UI layout. Perhaps the whole of the UI requires that certain information remain visible, outside the editing window, no matter how big that editing window might get. This could lead to what's called "UI Layout Nightmares", a close cousin of "Font Madness".

Some layout designers take care and pride in what they do, and how they present their product. Other's don't give a hoot in a holler, and it shows. Most (like me, usually) end up somewhere in between. What I emphatically don't want to do is come off like I'm telling you how to build your UI. If you want such-and-such to be just so-and-so, that's fine, it's your call. If you don't really mind that users might want to change the layout around to suit them, then perhaps you'll build that capability into Proxi. Again, I would applaud such an action, but I simply can't justify any actions on my part that would look like I'm trying to "persuade" you to do things my way instead of yours. (Did I just make any sense? No Expression )

My intent here is to merely make you aware of how some people think, and act, that's all. I believe that's the focus of this thread, or have I gone off the deep end, yet again? Sad

And funny that you should mention syntax highlighting.... I was considering asking for that very thing, but then I backed off, thinking that this is an advanced feature, and requires some heavy horsepower. If you can do it, then I'm your Number One fan. If not, then don't sweat it, at least not on my account. Wink For now, better to implement functionality of the core process, then add the "nice" touches like advanced editing features. Gives people something to look forward to in future releases, right? [lol]

Oddysey

Dec. 04, 2004, 08:11 AM

One thing I think would be an improvement is to change the colour scheme in the log window. I like the header information to practically jump out at me. Red on black for the browser request header does not do that. What was wrong with the original log window colours?
Dec. 04, 2004, 09:49 AM

kuruden Wrote:- the app knows when lists are manually changed and can re-parse them (currently, there is no auto-reload, because we don't monitor files on hard-drive)
kuruden, i had asked for an "auto-reload" feature and i think my request was misleading: i didn't mean "automatically reload", what i meant was a context menu item titled something like "reload currnet filters" that you could click manually (same as proxo is now).
Dec. 04, 2004, 06:15 PM

Hello Atom,
I indeed believed you requested a way to simulate 'F5' key press in browsers after Proximodo filters have been modified.

To completely avoid room for interpretation, could you precise in what menu you would expect this "reload current filters" item, and what exactly should happen? Is it some sort of undo function? Or something like the existing "Tools>Reload" menu item? I still don't get it...
Dec. 04, 2004, 06:40 PM

exactly like the "tools > reload" function, but enable faster access to it from the tray icon (L or R click)... BUT, what about this instead...

there also seems to be differing opinions on the best way to edit a filter, via notepad or a proxi UI. i suppose an option could be added in the settings to do one or the other by default, but i would prefer to see all default editing using a proxi UI rather than notepad. why? a few things: 1) options, suggestions, help, etc., can all be added to the UI, where they can't with notepad. 2) unless i'm missing something, the UI is just as powerful as notepad. even search and replace could be implemented if need be -- the latter being available if the WHOLE filter were to be opened in the UI and not just an entry added. with proxo, you have that option to just add some code, or open the filter for manual editing. 3) the filter could be automatically reloaded upon completion of the edit, just by closing the filter's UI. 4) i think it'd be more user-friendly.

now, to add to the confusion...

in another thread, i did request that the webpage be auto-reloaded if a change is made to a filter. you said that could possibly be done using JS, while still maintaining cross-platform compatibility. in that instance, i guess 2 re-loads would need to occur; 1) reload the filter first and 2) refresh the webpage so the effects of the filter can be applied.
Dec. 05, 2004, 11:55 PM

Very simple request: time-stamps in the log - I like to see times of items as they are logged.
Dec. 06, 2004, 02:26 PM

What i like to see is an way of positioning every filter/filter-folder like drag/drop or with an arrow-up/down or something.
Now when i try to drag and drop, it doesn't position it at the place where i droped it. And i can't change its position.

<update>
Also a way to see if it is an filter or an folder would be nice Smile! Some icons.
Also if it is an text filter or header filters could have diffrent icons.
</update>

GreetZ BlackDex <br>To boldy go where no one has gone before.
Dec. 07, 2004, 02:33 AM

Ah, got one. And, it's legitimate, too! B) (Surprised no one else has thought of this yet.)

Please consider <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>NOT</span></span> putting in anything that looks like the really, really ugly screen what says "The Proxomitron Can't Find Such-And-Such A Website" when it times out, suffers a DNS error, or whatever. Either that, or at least give us a way to modify it. Pretty please.

That was Scott's one big failing with Proxomitron. For some reason, he had an extreme case of "blind-itis" about this. I think I first saw someone request that he allow it to be modified, or turned off, way back on Arne's old forum, something like 2 1/2 years ago, maybe even farther back. I never did understand his thinking on that one. [wacko]

Oddysey

Dec. 07, 2004, 04:13 AM

In Proximodo, the error page is already customizable (error.html), though there are few "codes" available at this time.

It would be easier to sort filters/folders by name (like Windows Explorer's folder tree), because there is no way (currently) to record in filters.txt the order of display.