sidki's config set: 2005-06-09
Dec. 15, 2004, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: Jul. 10, 2005 01:38 PM by sidki3003.)
sidki's config set: 2005-06-09
This is the 6/9 release. Reusing the 12/15 thread.

I've uploaded a new version of my config set (cross-post).

I wish to especially thank three people who helped a lot with the last versions:
Mona contributed a bunch of ideas and code, ProxRocks tested the betas high and low, and JJoe applied his excellent editing skills to the docs.

Here is the change log since April 2:
Quote: Small external ad scripts aren't broken anymore, but their content is
replaced.

New level-3 filters: "<frameset>: Jump out of Ad Frames" and "<div>
Remove: Ad Sources". (Disabled while using "Light Settings".)

Blocking of images and Flash objects that contain the controversial
string "banner" in their path has become a bit more aggressive.
However, it can be turned off by unticking the new option "Block Off-
Domain Banners" (or amplified by selecting "Block On-Domain Banners").

Proxomitron menu: A third "Session" button temporarily changes
selected config options, until it is pressed again without having
selected anything or the config is reloaded.
Hitting "Go" without checking any options now strips all keywords from
the URL.
"Popularity" link replaces former "Link To" (see Prox_Menu.txt).
Javascript Shell upgraded to version 1.3 for Mozilla/Opera (IE still
gets v1.1 due to a bug in v1.2/1.3).

Window handling: Some more options added. Fix for requested popups
that need to load an unrequested popup in order to work. Fix for
"JS Links to normal Links" filter to suppress window resizing when
opening converted links.

AdComments.ptxt: Obsolete entries removed, new entries added, generic
rules rewritten (just one unhashed entry left).

Count.ptxt: Rewritten to no longer user recursive calls and to not
show up in the log window - by Mike/z12, Mona, and me.

Caching header filters improved - by Mike/z12 and me.

Malware ClassID filters: Also match chopped IDs
(example: http://www.mt-download.com/mtrslib2.js ).

Keycodes changed to work better with Firefox and Opera
(see Abbreviations.txt).

The content of XML documents that don't come with the correct content-
type is sniffed, and protected from filtering if it's not (X)HTML.

Redirects from images, CSS, JS with standard extensions to documents
with non-standard extensions (i.e. some sort of 404 error pages) are
killed now - they tend to slow down page loading
(real 404s get killed as well).

The old AdKeys.ptxt was merged into AdList.ptxt, thus reducing the
previous AdKeys -> AdList -> AdHosts/AdDomains/AdPaths chain by one
link. The previous AdStrings.ptxt in turn is now called AdKeys.ptxt.

If you know the class/ID/name of a tag block that you want to see
removed on a specific site, you can add it to AdKeys-S.ptxt. This list
is scanned by the "Remove: Ad Containers on sel. Sites" webfilter.

Various bugfixes and improvements.

Snippet from the ReadMe:
Quote:This config should work with all Gecko Browsers and IE clones > 5.5, Opera 7.x
(a few config features disabled), Netscape 4.x, NCSA Mosaic, and OffByOne (many
features disabled). It may well be incompatible with IE 5.x or Opera 6.
Most of the time i use it with Firefox.

It can be set up to just surf the web. Proxomitron would then be the quiet
friend running in the background. However, it is actually intended for people
that are curious about what is happening under the hood of webpages.

The set is a bit complex and will likely be difficult for some people to
maintain. It is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License
(included).

ReadMe - Config (onsite link, 262 KB) - Updates - Online FAQ - Homepage.

sidki
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Dec. 16, 2004, 12:01 AM
RE: sidki's config set: 2005-06-09
Quote: I wish to especially thank two people who helped a lot with this version:
Mona contributed a bunch of ideas and code, and ProxRocks tested the betas high and low.

Things that may need some attention:
- If https pages are filtered properly.

sidki
Thanks for the thanks, sidki...
The testing 'high and low' has been extremely fun - and I even learned quite a bit myself in regards to the inner-workings and whatnot...

An awesome "brainstorm" of sidki's that I'd like to point out is the manner in which this new release handles https sites...

In essence, the new handling methodology cuts encryption/decryption time in HALF because after Proxo decrypts it, it "converts it" to an http site (observe the address bar when browsing https sites) that is then passed 'down the chain' to your browser (which now does not need to decrypt it again)...

My explanation isn't as good as sidki's, of course...

As I have a limited number (more than one but less than two [dozen]) https sites with log-ins, I extend an additional invitation to try out the new methodology on your https sites...

In closing - congratulations sidki on another fine release -- u da man!
Dec. 16, 2004, 02:00 AM

In running the new sidki config I now get the following message when I link to http://ragingbull.lycos.com/cgi-bin/static...txt&d=mainpages

Require SSLEAY32.DLL and LIBEAT.DLL

This was not happening with the previous sidki config. So far the above URL is the only one that generates this request. ??? Thanks.
Dec. 16, 2004, 03:41 AM

Hi mozerd, make sure to read the ReadMe, it's important, really. Smile!

Quoting the appropriate paragraph:
Quote: Added "Half-SSL", Based on filters by Scott, JarC, and JJoe.
It circumvents re-encrypting of documents after filtering and alert
messages in Mozilla and Opera.&nbsp; SSLeay32.dll and Libeay32.dll are now
required.&nbsp; Selecting "Use SSLeay/OpenSSL" under Options is still
optional tho.
Thinking... maybe i should mention this under "Installation" as well...

sidki
Dec. 16, 2004, 11:43 AM

sidki Thank you. I did skim the readme file but I should have been much more attentive. [blush] And thank you for producing yet another fantastic config Santa Claus
Dec. 16, 2004, 01:40 PM

Actually, that note was somehow buried within the changelog. I added it to "Installation" now. Thanks for the heads-up! And good to see that you like the set. Smile!

sidki
Dec. 16, 2004, 06:13 PM

Hi sidki

I just downloaded your new config. A quick glance reveals I've got a lot of learning to do. Smile!

One thing I noticed in ProxFunctions.js is the browser sniffing code for mozilla uses document.all.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that firefox (& maybe mozilla too) now supports document.all.

I've been using "window.addEventListener" for checking w3 compliance & "window.attachEvent" for checking if ie.

No doubt theres a better way, but it seems to be working for me.

I look forward to studying your config.

Thanks for posting it.

Mike
Dec. 17, 2004, 03:07 AM
Hi Mike,

Quote:Just wanted to give you a heads up that firefox (& maybe mozilla too) now supports document.all.
Yes, i think it's implemented in all browsers that use Gecko 1.7 and up.

But the devs where clever: Big Teeth
document.all support is limited to undetected calls, which means that the browser will accept a call to document.all from a script that didn't care to detect it before, like "document.all.myID". Along with a message in the JS console, that you just left W3C standard.

However, an explicit test like "var prxDAll = (document.all) ? 1 : 0;" does return 0, and will - fortunately - continue to do so, from what i understand. Here is the matching bug btw.

Quote:I look forward to studying your config.
And i'm looking forward to hear your comments. Feel free to post anything that comes into your mind. Smile!
(It may take some time tho for me to respond since this board is more than shaky atm, at least from Europe.)

sidki
Dec. 17, 2004, 10:14 AM
Hi sidki

Quote:document.all support is limited to undetected calls,

Ahh...I didn't know that, I should have known you had that covered. Smile!

I've had a chance to briefly look over your filter set. LOL, I feel like a proxo newbie. I'm not sure I'll understand how half those filters work, or even what they do, no matter how long I look at them. Sad

It's really most impressive.

Mike
Dec. 17, 2004, 11:31 AM

Impressive == Complex LOL
Seriously, it's a pain! It's in the first place because the filters depend on each other and test things like: "are we within a script" or "has this code been processed by another filter before". I wished i could simplify things more again. Like a friend of mine said: "Going back from complex complex to simple complex" Big Teeth
What i do when troubleshooting a filter is cutting back the peripheral code like the log lines or the lines that store the info that gets printed to the footer, to get to the core.

Hey, you may like the JavaScript shell in the Prox menu. It works in the context of the current page. The browser thinks it's called from a relative path ("/local.ptron/.../shell.html" HeHe), so there are no cross-site restrictions. It has Tab completion. Try for instance typing "p" followed by a TAB. Smile!

sidki
Dec. 28, 2004, 11:35 PM

The release is out. Smile! I've updated the first message in this thread.

Changes since the pre-release: bug fixes, improved help docs, restructured IncludeExclude list, third caching option: "Always Cache except for HTML" <- z12/Mike

sidki

PS: It would be great if this forum wouldn't loose posts. It might not be apparent, but posting can consume a lot of time. Wink
Dec. 28, 2004, 11:42 PM
Quote:PS: It would be great if this forum wouldn't loose posts. It might not be apparent, but posting can consume a lot of time. Wink
I'll try my best Cheers

Thanks for the new release! :P
Visit this user's website
Dec. 29, 2004, 04:54 PM

hmm...
Quote:Require SSLEAY32.DLL and LIBEAT.DLL
the old configs [sidki and the last Kye-U] didn't quite work on gmail if I allowed "use Open SSL to filter secure pages" in "HTTP" in "config" in "proxomitron" [phew!]
hopefully, this is resolved now?

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Dec. 29, 2004, 05:11 PM

The set - as it comes out of the box - runs fine with GMail in IE and Moz/Fx with "Use SSLeay/OpenSSL" activated. Opera 7.6 alpha hangs at times - no matter if Prox is active or not.

You don't need to check this option tho, just the DLLs need to be present. But don't complain then if you're seeing ads there, okay? Wink

sidki
Dec. 31, 2004, 11:20 AM

hey... put it out in bold that you released a new set... I didn't get it for about 3 refreshes....[23hours or so]

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.