in
Feb. 10, 2005, 07:26 PM

Allow me to introduce myself to... myself...

Me, this is mini-me...
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Feb. 11, 2005, 12:21 AM

Glad to meet you me . I thought I was me but I was wrong . I am I ! Big Teeth
Feb. 11, 2005, 12:44 AM

hello, i just want to say hello too. i like the smilies here, i think this one is funny [beatdown]
and i'm very happy to be here [img]http://img99.eDead.cx/img99/8577/yupi3ti.gif[/img]
Feb. 11, 2005, 08:22 AM

iceni60;

Welcome to the UOPT. Any questions, just ask, that's what we're here for!

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Feb. 13, 2005, 05:46 PM

Welcome "iceni60",
Glad to have You here! We are just one big Ole Happy "Proxo-Clan", . . .friends helping friends, . . .And the more we all share the more we are all the better for it!
All of us together is is a whole lot better than any one of us alone, , , Smile!

Best Wishes,
"JaK" [smoke]
Mar. 23, 2005, 07:10 PM

Greetings All.

I, that is i, am new to the forum. I anticipate writing several paragraphs here which, while I'm sure that's out of the ordinary for newbies, just happens to fill my need for economy. So I hope no one is offended.

Let me start by saying how highly I think of Scott R. Lemmon. May he rest well and prosper among us. In him I find that rare blend of both technician and artist. Was he subtle or what? I love what I've seen of his sense of humor in particular. Unfortunately it is difficult to locate many of his direct posts. And of the one's I have found I sense that they deserve to be explored more fully. For that matter, if I may say, I feel he deserves quite a bit more in the way of direct dialogue than he seems to have gotten. Not just his work, that is, but his person. I think we should all benefit from an outright bio on the man complete with many of the details of his life, quotes from "those who knew hime then", a pic or two maybe, and all such things as lend to a permanent record of what it is that made him such a unique and gifted individual. Already I can tell, for example, that it was his style to leave around 'clues' about his work, his thought process, even things deeply personal. But I honestly find very little in the way of discourse along these lines and, by natural consequence, am left with a sense that the man has yet to be honored half as fully as he should be. His friends in Japan fitted him with the moniker "knife boy". I should love to see a permanent thread developed with a title like that, wholly dedicated toward discourse on the man himself, peoples' recollections, insights and so forth. I wonder what percentage of Proxomitron users even notice the word 'omit' built into the name Scott gave his project. Such a mind as that deserves perhaps more attention than it's gotten, and not just vicarious kudos in the form of 'using his tool'. Those at least are my early sentiments. I stand gladly open to correction if I've simply failed to locate the fuller cache of things along this line.

My second line of thought is much more rudimentary. By all accounts Scott's tool classes as 'elegant' because it accomplishes many useful things care of a relatively small amount of code. But just what are those things? How, where, will someone as generally non-technical as myself locate something in the form of a primer on these things? Why a proxy? What are its real benefits, especially when browsers are coming more and more fitted with features like Popup blocking. All aside of the fact that Scott deserves to be remembered, and his work appreciated, the fact that there are at least three fora for Proxomitron says that indeed it remains a very useful tool and, if nothing else, a platform upon which to build all the more useful ones. But useful how? Where does a guy like me dive in? I followed Arne's admonition and came over to Kye-U with my questions. But I see nothing clearly labeled in the way of 'introductory discourse' so to speak. Again, this may be nothing more than my own lack of facility. But I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction for just, the, basics.

Thanks.
Apr. 02, 2005, 12:42 AM

Hi "www23e",
Welcome to the FORUM! Glad You are here! Smile!
I did not know "Scott" all that well, . .we corresponded by posts and by email. But I think that "Scott's" PRoxomitron is a work of art. It's one of the best "hands-on" teaching tool that I have ever found. It does some amazing things right out of the box. But You can get as "Geeky" as You want with it. It not only blocks pop-up ads, . .but it teaches about "Proxies", both local and remote, it teaches about html code, Java, Java-scripts, cookies, Input and Output Headers, security, privacy, Commands . . .hell You can "rewrite" the whole darn internet with it! (Or at least how Your machine interprets it). And the amazing thing is it's adaptable to just about what ever that You want to use it for in the way of "Filtering" what's going in and out of Your machine via "Http & Https"!

The best place to learn the "basics", . .is the help files, . . .they are very informative, . .and that's usually where most of us started, . .and the fact that You have "Forums" where You can ask question. Don't ever feel like that a question is to simple to ask, . .and don't worry about somebody trying to make You feel like You should already know the answer. This is for the most part a friendly forum, . .it's just friends helping friends, . .and sharing information, . . .so feel free to ask what You will.

So take care and please Make Yourself Home, , ,these "Proxomitron Forums" have been a real home to Me for several years, . . .and the Members have Not just been "Friends", . . . .Man, . .they are and Have Been a "Family" to Me for just as long, , ,

Safe Surfin',
"JaK" [smoke]
Apr. 03, 2005, 07:31 AM

Capital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Proxomitron
Apr. 03, 2005, 08:41 AM

Hi .... just joined, though I've been lurking for many months. "What www23e said" ... Proxo is absolutely elegant, artistic, unique ... and to me, indispensible, though I barely understand it ... I'm currently using JD's advanced set, with Kye-U's security pack merged, along with a few other filters, including some extremely crude ones of my own. JakBeNymble, Oddysey's avatar is prettier, but yours cracks me up ... I'm using it for the java-demon with the "replace Java applets" filter! Thanks for all the info and filter-packs this forum provides.

Surfing with Proxo on wine in Debian GNU/Linux ... can ya dig it?
Apr. 05, 2005, 12:36 PM

Hi "nxIsle",
Welcome My Good Friend! Glad You decided to Join up with us!!! Smile!
That's great, . .. I've thought about using it in that filter too! I've got a ton of animated gif files, . . .and I have software that can create or edit the animation a frame at a time, set the frame speed, invert the animation . .etc. I'm glad that You like that one. I didn't create it but I wished I had! LOL! The "little Green Smoking Guy" ----> [smoke] was my first. Smile!
Take Care My Good Friend,
Safe-Surfin',
"JaK" [smoke]
Apr. 09, 2005, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the welcome, JaK!
One day I'm gonna look for a good, versatile, freeware gif app. I've been using UnFreez, which is pretty basic, but does the job. It doesn't do any editing/creating; you just drag single gifs into it, set the animation rate, and it makes the animated gif. I haven't done much fancy stuff with it ... mostly a few animated blinking checkbox gifs for Mozilla's preferences toolbar extension a while back (really let me know when java is on ... not that I'm paranoid or anything[Image: eek7.gif]).
I like the "little Green Smoking Guy" -- he looks like a cool and mellow fellow!
[Image: smoke.gif]

Apr. 10, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hi "NxIsle",
I use "Gif Animator" "Click Here". They have a trial version and is limited,(puts their name in the animation) but the pay version is worth the cost especially if You like playing around with animation. Smile! Please let Me know if You download and like the trial version. Cheers

I haven't tried this one out, but I think that You can use it to edit the gif files with it, . .and You can't beat the price! "Free" Smile! "Click Here"

Have a Great & Wonderful Day,
"JaK" [smoke]
Apr. 11, 2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks! [smoke] I've downloaded them and will try them out. I've been working on some png images (nebulae, moon maps, planetary rings) to use in Stellarium (http://stellarium.free.fr/) lately; too bad the Gimp doesn't do gif animations.