convert h?p:// text into actual links
Feb. 15, 2005, 01:16 PM

I bump into message boards that quite freqently have posters that type messages which include a link to a website...

BUT they type the link without the two T's...
For example, hxxp://go_here.html, or h**p://this_is_neat.asp, or h--p://cant_click_this/index.php...

Anyone have any ideas how Proxo can filter these into REAL 'clickable' links?
The problem I am having difficulties with is that the finding of the h??p:// is EASY - but I need to include all non-spaces that follow - how do I do that?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Feb. 15, 2005, 01:19 PM

Oops, could someone please move this post?

Not remove it, just move it...
I posted under Proximodo inadvertantly...
Feb. 15, 2005, 07:47 PM

ProxRocks;

Done. You're Welcome ! [lol]

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Feb. 15, 2005, 09:08 PM

Try this?

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Fix Links"
Active = TRUE
Limit = 256
Match = "(^http)$AV(h??p://\2)"
Replace = ""http://\2""
Visit this user's website
Feb. 16, 2005, 12:37 AM

It's OK if you use Kye-U's filter, but if you want to change them into live links, you probably shouldn't. Websites have people post those links so that their site doesn't show up in the referer inforamtion. They are usually posted like that on websites of questionable content (warez, cracks, mp3's, etc.). If you want your site to not get shut down, don't change them into live links.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Feb. 16, 2005, 01:39 AM

Shea Wrote:It's OK if you use Kye-U's filter, but if you want to change them into live links, you probably shouldn't. Websites have people post those links so that their site doesn't show up in the referer inforamtion. They are usually posted like that on websites of questionable content (warez, cracks, mp3's, etc.). If you want your site to not get shut down, don't change them into live links.
My filter just makes it copy+pastable [lol]

I agree with the live links and referrer headers bit Smile!
Feb. 16, 2005, 02:50 AM

Shea and Kye-U;

I've seen sites where a string of text looks like a perfectly normal link, but it doesn't work. I've also seen other sites that work if the h??p portion is shown as http, but not if it's done with wild-card characters (this forum being one of them).

At a guess, I'd say the first scenario is probably more a matter of the way the server is set up. Some servers automatically recognize text as a link, and treat it as such. Other servers don't - they require an actual link statement (the <a href=.... tag).

The second scenario is probably due to an author's desire to display an example of some sort, but he doesn't want it to be a real, live link. (Perhaps he's demonstrating a bogus site, or even a real one that he's warning you away from.)

For me, I'd say that about 3 times out of 4, I wish the bleepin' thing was a real live link - I want to follow it without all the cut-and-paste shenanigans. If it does have the wild-card characters, I investigate a little further before blithely hitting on it. [rolleyes]

In summary, I say that this is a good idea. Thanks to ProxRocks for bringing it up. Cheers

Oddysey

Feb. 16, 2005, 02:51 AM

Well, it can be done Eyes Closed Smile
Feb. 16, 2005, 10:24 AM

Use the MOZILLA FIREFOX plugin for this same purpose... LINKIFICATION
Have fun.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Feb. 16, 2005, 12:08 PM

Er, um, how do I say this "gently"?

F#%* FireFox...
The "dead fox" is WWAAAYY to "simplistic"...

SLEIPNIR is the way to go (can even use the Gekko engine, if you feel it is "that" important [which for a fully patched system, it isn't])...

Dropping the topic...
I will **NOT** allow the "dead fox" to be RAMMED DOWN MY THROAT!!!

ps - and those that have been around a while KNOW my opinion of the 'dead fox'...
so to those that are "new" to my OPINION, well, it is MY opinion... I am ENTITLED to it... And you are entitled to your OPINION (no, it is NOT a "fact", it IS your OPINION) in regards to the "dead fox"...

but anyway, dropping the topic...
just take note, do *NOT* get me started on Sleipnir versus the 'dead fox'...

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
Feb. 16, 2005, 05:32 PM

ProxRocks;
Quote:we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

But what if my programming isn't very regular? <_< What if I have to use Ex-Lax to make it do its job? [angry] Can I be returned anyway? Sad

[unsure]

Oddysey

Feb. 17, 2005, 10:14 AM

err.. PR... umm.. err...
I'm scared... no wait... that's not it...
hmm...
I'm exasperated... Yeah. That's the word.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too much opinion in their, fella.

No one's forcing FF down anyone's throat.

if you like the "sleep around" browser or the "internet exploder".... Its your choice.

I only pointed out that fFoxy users can use a plugin as a simple and elegant solution.

Oh, and by the way... FF is simple because it is extensible and features multi-platform support. Use extensions if you want extended "features". Use the "customizing" tricks like the "about:******" areas of the browser to gain complete control.

If you don't ~like~ FF, then that's another matter. I want tabbed browsing and FF & opera are the best examples. And I have IE based browsers too, just in case the web developers of some site weren't in a W3C compliant mood the day they designed the site.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><i><span style='color:#0000FF'>Projekt</span> </span><span style='color:#FF0000'>D</span><span style='color:#008200'>F</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>S</span></i> : <b><span style='color:#0000FF'>projekt</span><span style='color:#FF0000'>d</span><span style='color:#008200'>f</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>s</span></b>[at]<span style='color:BLUE'>g</span><span style='color:RED'>m</span><span style='color:#ce9a31'>a</span><span style='color:BLUE'>i</span><span style='color:#008200'>l</span><span style='color:BLACK'>.</span><span style='color:#8449a5'>com </span><span style='color:BLACK'>: <u>What</u> is it?</span><br>It&#39;s ONLINE <span style='color:#FF0000'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>NOW</span></span>&#33;&#33;&#33;pm me for url. max 250 users. by invite only please.
Feb. 17, 2005, 11:04 AM

no13;
Quote:.... that fFoxy users can use a plugin as a simple and elegant solution.

.... FF is simple because it is extensible ....

Um, not to pick a fight here or anything, but unless I'm very sadly mistaken, that's the exact same way the MS-DOS started out, and later, Windows followed in the same vein. In the beginning, they were nothing. They had no "extras" added in, they only did their basic job. But because they were extensible, all too soon what was once "an extra touch" became an included necessity, ostensibly called a core component.

Simple and elegant may apply now, but how long before they become inapplicable adjectives?

More to the point of all this, why would anyone choose to use a sledgehammer to do a tackhammer's job?? Plug-ins are meant to be for adapting some new technology, not for filtering strings of text found in html code. <_< Proxo does the job correctly, and it's customizable to boot. Tastes great, less filling! Smile!

Oddysey

Feb. 17, 2005, 12:39 PM

no13 Wrote:if you like the "sleep around" browser or the "internet exploder".... Its your choice.
I use SLEIPNIR - a Japanese web browser set up to use the Gekko engine, the "core" of 'the dead fox' WITHOUT being LIMITED and having to hunt all over the place for ADD-INS to get functions that SLEIPNIR has 'out of the box'...

ALL 'dead fox' users RAM 'the dead fox' down IE users - opinion? perhaps...

But I am NOT an IE user...

ps - Sleipnir = sleep around???
Feb. 17, 2005, 12:54 PM

Oddysey Wrote:Plug-ins are meant to be for adapting some new technology, not for filtering strings of text found in html code. <_< Proxo does the job correctly, and it's customizable to boot. Tastes great, less filling! Smile!
amen, my brother...

the dead fox is like buying a car from a back alley bandit...
then getting the radio from a street corner vendor...
then getting some tires from some scavenger...

EVENTUALLY, after hunting and pecking ALL OVER THE PLACE and dealing with COMPATIBILITY issues every time the 'core engine' gets a 'tune up', you'll have that 'dead fox' revamped and ready to go with all of the 'wanted features' that SHOULD have been there OUT OF THE BOX!!!

But anyway, this wasn't INTENDED to be a SLEIPNIR versus 'dead fox' topic...

And last but not least, do NOT assume that anyone NOT using 'the dead fox' must be an IE user, or an Opera user, or any other of the HUNDREDS of browsers out there (two dozen, maybe even three, of which I myself have personally ran on a trial basis)...

Sure, in your defense, I will agree that 'the dead fox' is a pretty decent browser - but FAR from 'the best'...

But again, everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion - but I get EXTREMELY tired of 'dead fox' users INSISTING that I should be using the 'dead fox'... So from that, I will admit that I 'jumped the gun' in thinking that you were about to RAM the 'dead fox' down my throat once more (so I nipped that bud before there was ANY chance whatsoever of blossoming)...

For jumping the gun, I apologize...

For having a different opinion of the 'dead fox', NO APOLOGY WILL BE GIVEN Smile!