Application Error in Prox
Mar. 04, 2005, 08:30 PM

I am on Opera 7.54u with Prox 4.5 (1.6.2003) modified by Prox Patcher3.6 (26.05.2004).

Sometimes , though not always , when I start surfing I receive the following error msg:
Proxomitron Application Error
Exception [C0000005 ] raised in ......
Sock Open :: [ main ]

I have not seen this earlier though i have been using Prox for last 6 months or so with absolutely no problem. I did earlier merge a new filter set with the default set but do not remember whose.

What should I do? Should I reinstall or can I rectify and if so how .What is the procedure for replacing a complete set.

Can anyone out there help.

Thanks in advance.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 04, 2005, 09:07 PM

If i understood correctly, Henk did some more low level changes in his last beta, besides the "Andale Mono" hack. Try copying the original Proxomitron executable to Prox' home directory, overwriting the patched one, and see if the problem is still there.

edit:
Oops, didn't see that you're using his stable version, sorry!
If you don't remember what you've changed (diff config set, new filters) just before the problem occured, then you may need to run Scott's default set for a while (copy default.cfg from the official distribution to Prox' home directory) and - if no problems - rebuild your config (use the "merge" menu item in the main window to add new filters).

Or use someone else's config (rename to default.cfg) and remember his/her name, so that you know who is to blame next time. Wink

sidki
Mar. 05, 2005, 05:21 AM

sidki;

Are you serious - did Henk really monkey around with Proxo's socket interface?

In the name of The Good Lord Harry, why??!!??!! Why would he mess with a perfectly good thing?

Just curious, you understand. Big Teeth

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Mar. 05, 2005, 09:36 AM

No, he is only targeting GUI aspects (AFAIK). If you want to modify a compiled executable, you can either use a resource editor, which is usually safe. Or you edit the compiled code directly - things can go wrong easily there. Latter is what i meant.

sidki
Mar. 05, 2005, 10:20 AM

Hi Sidki,

The best course for me possibly would be to replace the whole config set and this did occur to me earlier also but the point is there is only the merger option in the menu and not 'replace' .

For complete replacement do I have to delete the existing filters manually one by one OR is there some easier method . Any other cautions while doing the procedure.

Thanks in advance.
Mar. 05, 2005, 11:07 AM

Hi yogivarun, let's do a quick walk-through.

First make sure to read >this< page, to understand the concept of config files (where your filters are stored). Then get >this< zip file, or a public config set, which usually comes with its own installation instructions.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where "Proxomitron.exe" resides. Rename "default.cfg" to "old_config.cfg". From the zip you've just downloaded (or config set you've just installed) pick a file that ends with ".cfg", rename it to "default.cfg", copy it to the Proxomitron folder, and start/restart Proxomitron.

Voila, you've a clean set of filters. If you want to go back to your previous config, e.g. to export filters, then - in Proxomitron's main window - select "File -> Load Config File". In the newly opened "Config Load-A-Rama!" window pick "old_config.cfg".

HTH,
sidki
Mar. 05, 2005, 06:59 PM

Big Teeth

Hi Sidki,

Thanks a lot .

This is amply clear and will do.
Mar. 05, 2005, 08:16 PM

sidki;
Quote:...... Or you edit the compiled code directly - things can go wrong easily there.&nbsp; Latter is what i meant.
Ah, I see. I just made the inference due to yogi's first error message, as in
Quote:Proxomitron Application Error
Exception [C0000005 ] raised in ......
Sock Open :: [ main ]
That as my clue to go off on a tangent..... [where's that 'hang-my-head-in-shame smilie?]

Thanks.

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!