Hacker Problems
Apr. 08, 2004, 05:32 AM

Shea;

Four things: One; good research on the Sub-Seven, it shows that you can find info when you want to - keep it up!

Two; I don't agree with ProxRocks on this one. If you can get a legitimate email for the end user, send 'em a gentle request to knock it off. If you can only get as far as their ISP, then let them know instead. They have a vested interest in keeping their clients clean, and they won't be offended if you can prove your accusations. Send log files if you can. Screen shots, even if they are easy to read, are not easy to enter back into a database for searching purposes.

Three; why is your relative's machine so unprotected?? Banging Head Lead 'em by the hand to the promised land by showing them a hardware firewall, a software firewall, and what else, The Proxomitron! They have no excuse for being on the 'Net without some form of protection.

Four; the multiple IP's can mean either multiple machines/persons, or it could just be a dynamic IP from the pool authorized for that one machine/person. I wouldn't worry overly much at this point.

~~~~~~~~
Jak;
Quote:The last command his CPU heard before it "perished" in the dark, cold and all along, . .was <Remote_Kill disk!>
You are so evil! B) You, my friend, are a prime candidate for membership at the EHOWA forums!! But first, make sure you've got an extra hour a day - that place is busy!!

Ciao

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 08, 2004, 10:50 AM

Shea Wrote:According to Norton, I've been on stealth the whole time. And great idea Jak!
I would recommend that you consider a hardware firewall. I use a broadband router [switch] that includes NAT. The reason that I went to a HW solution was because I found that a Software Firewall like ZoneAlarm [or Norton] created a host of problems [to numerous for me to articulate here] and hacker attacks were very frequent. Since I switch to a HW solution I have had zero attacks. And I switched 3 years ago. Now there are benefits to a software firewall like ZoneAlarm specifically outgoing stuff that can be very easily stopped by programs like ZA, which is good for people who are not careful about how they conduct their activities.

If you are interested check out D-Link DI-604 or the SMC SMC7004ABR -- I have used both. Either can be purchase for approx. $70 or less depending where you buy and the frequent sales. It does take a little effort to configure them properly.

Also, to check how stealth your ports are ShieldsAreUp is very good.
Apr. 08, 2004, 08:55 PM

I agree with using a router so you are not bothered every time a scanner probes your ports. It is unlikely that someone is trying to attack his pc in particular because it is probing a commonly scanned port , and even so the attacker can do nothing from the outside. Stealth is not necessary as a scanner does not differentiate between a closed port or one that is dropping packets; it is simply probing for a susceptible pc to attack.