Windows Media Player 10
Oct. 04, 2005, 10:57 AM
Windows Media Player 10
sidki, How to get Windows Media Player 10 to work with your config?

WMP fires a lot of scripts depending on which Media Option one selects [Music, Radio, Vidio] -- and each one of these options causes WMP to go to many different WEB sites --- what I would like to do is FOR Prox to bypass ALL the stuff invoked by WMP -- How to do that, please?

Thanks
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Oct. 04, 2005, 11:38 AM

I dont have WMP10 (nor WMP9). It all depends on how tightly it is coupled to IE.

First check if it has an IE independent option to connect directly.

Next thing would be:
Open the log window.
Set Prox into bypass mode.
Do something with WMP.

Then post the "User-Agent" header that you see in the log.
Or copy the entire log content to a text file (minus any personal Cookie/Set-Cookie headers), zip it up, and attach it here.

Oh, and i'd also need the User-Agent header that your IE is sending, when Prox is bypassed. If both identify with the same UA string, then chances to separate them are close to zero.

sidki
Oct. 04, 2005, 12:27 PM
Log file attached
I can not see a way to decouple WMP from IE ... log file attached.
Thanks.

Attached File(s)
.zip  WMPproxLog.zip (Size: 7.78 KB / Downloads: 916)
Oct. 04, 2005, 02:01 PM

Hey, it's identifying with its own User-Agent string! Big Teeth

So, open "SpecialUAs.ptxt", and add this to the second section, "Bypass webfilters":
Code:
# Windows Media Player 10
Windows-Media-Player/10.        $SET(1=\0$FILTER(FALSE))
Maybe you'd need to add keywords to bypass some header filters, but let's first try without.

Tell me if it works. If it does, then it would be nice if others could confirm that my set is breaking WMP10 (or even WMP9). Maybe i have to add an entry like the above by default, although i'm not too comfortable with that. Can you browse to any website with the new WMP?

sidki
Oct. 04, 2005, 02:16 PM

I use WMP10 and it works fine for me with sidki's config...

In fact, my WMP10 has scripting DISABLED via a program from "Javacool Software" - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

I highly suggest DISABLING "scripting" in WMP and never looking back - when you encounter a file that WMP will then no longer play, then TRUST ME, you just blocked a "script" that you do NOT want ran anyway...

I'm not that big of a fan of WMP, but like my browser running behind Proxo, when I do run WMP, I don't want it doing "mickey mouse sh*t" behind my back...

edit: me personally, I would not bypass WMP in Proxo... every user must weigh the pros and cons based upon personal preference, of course...
Oct. 04, 2005, 03:12 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:I use WMP10 and it works fine for me with sidki's config...

In fact, my WMP10 has scripting DISABLED via a program from "Javacool Software" - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

I highly suggest DISABLING "scripting" in WMP and never looking back - when you encounter a file that WMP will then no longer play, then TRUST ME, you just blocked a "script" that you do NOT want ran anyway...

I'm not that big of a fan of WMP, but like my browser running behind Proxo, when I do run WMP, I don't want it doing "mickey mouse sh*t" behind my back...
ProxRocks, thanks for the link --- I agree with your suggestion.

sidki, thanks you for the effort ... but I'm going with the DISABLING "scripting" fix ... and I am now able to use WMP without the annoying Debug crap that occasionally pops up at me constantly. Crazy

ProxRocks, which Media Player do you prefer?
Oct. 04, 2005, 03:35 PM

mozerd Wrote:ProxRocks, which Media Player do you prefer?
None, actually...
I seldom use my computer for "media" playback - whether that be "flash", "quick time", .mp3, audio cd's, or dvd movies...

I once had a "phase" of being 'into' .mp3's - but that phase has expired long, looonng ago... At the time, I was using WinAmp (but I don't 'recommend' it, a resource "hog" big time [WMP is better at "resources"])...

Went through a RealOne/Real8/RealPlayer "phase" also...
And a MusicMatch JukeBox "phase"...
Neither of which 'ring bells' of "wow, I miss those days"...

Guess I'm really not the one to ask - media on my computer? nope, been there, done that... just doesn't "do" anything for me... got the TV-tuner card and use that extensively... and got the ol' cassette line out plugged into the sound card's line in... that's basically the extent of "media" playback on my computer...

I'm not even sure "why" I went from WMP9 to WMP10, to be perfectly honest... It's just "there"...
Oct. 04, 2005, 03:58 PM

I hear that BSplayer Free (i use an older, small-footprint version) and Media Player Classic are popular among people that also use Proxomitron.
Oct. 04, 2005, 05:10 PM

cool, checked out that BSp and I'm gonna keep 'er around for a spell...
Oct. 04, 2005, 10:56 PM

I take issue with ProxRocks comment on resource hogs . I use WiMP 9.0 on occasion and it consumes > 25% of resources . Winamp 5.1 only 5-6 % ! Needless to say I am a fan of Winamp ; although Wimp sounds better because of the WOW DSP effect built into the program . BTW , Sidke your new config is out of site ; thanks from all of us for your incredible work !!
Oct. 05, 2005, 02:40 AM

I'll concede you that - my WinAmp days were way back during versions 2 and 3... I simply recall that the ol' jalopy of a pc I was using at the time all but crashed every time I opened, er, make that "tried" to open v3... After the brief trial run with v3, I remember running with MusicMatch instead of going back to v2...

But anyway, one of these days perhaps I'll regive WinAmp another try...
Oct. 06, 2005, 04:58 PM
Winamp 5.1
Ralph Wrote:I take issue with ProxRocks comment on resource hogs . I use WiMP 9.0 on occasion and it consumes > 25% of resources . Winamp 5.1 only 5-6 % ! Needless to say I am a fan of Winamp ; although Wimp sounds better because of the WOW DSP effect built into the program . BTW , Sidke your new config is out of site ; thanks from all of us for your incredible work !!
Ralph, I've been playing with WinAmp Pro 5.1 and like it a lot -- certainly no resource hog on my system.

And I am certainly grateful for the Sidke's fantastic work! Microphone
Oct. 06, 2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:Ralph, I've been playing with WinAmp Pro 5.1 and like it a lot -- certainly no resource hog on my system.
Mozerd , I 've been using Winamp for several years now and each version seems to get better . Have a peek at their forums and you'll pick up a lot of useful tips . However , be cautious with the plugins ; some are great and well written , others will crash your system . I found the skins to be dangerous . Have fun with it . I surf with music in the background . Real nice . Cool
Oct. 07, 2005, 07:44 AM

I like Media Player Classic. I have switched the associations of all media file extensions in my registry to point to it (with a few exceptions going to Irfanview or Modplug), instead of Windows Media Player. In fact, I haven't even agreed to the user agreement in media player in Windows XP. Since switching the associations (with WAssociate), I have not unintentionally launched WMP for quite a while now.
Oct. 08, 2005, 01:37 AM

Siamesecat Wrote:I like Media Player Classic. I have switched the associations of all media file extensions in my registry to point to it (with a few exceptions going to Irfanview or Modplug), instead of Windows Media Player. In fact, I haven't even agreed to the user agreement in media player in Windows XP. Since switching the associations (with WAssociate), I have not unintentionally launched WMP for quite a while now.
Give that man a see-gar!! Cheers

CMP it is, with all the plug-ins that handle Flash/swf files, QuickTime files, Real Files, the whole shebang. While I generally like using what's most closely designed with the OS in mind (read that as: same manufacturer), there are times when the OOBE product just doesn't hack the mustard. Thank Jebus for those enterprising souls who see things differently than MS, and make/ship their own versions of what the original should have been in the first place. Halleluah! Hail

[Edit]
That's not to knock the other players mentioned here, I'm sure they're all fine products in their own ways.
[/edit]

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!