A new software firewall???
Nov. 03, 2005, 07:56 PM
A new software firewall???
Shellcity.net, a hangout that should be in your Bookmarks/Favorites folder if there ever was one, has this little gem for us:

Quote:SENSIVE GUARD..........Powerful network firewall and a real-time file-guard to protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, and hackers. It protects both inbound and outbound network, guards critical system and personal files. It intelligently detects malicious operations from user operations with inputs from local keyboard or mouse and take appropriate security actions. It can reliably block access to any files that occurs without your manual initiation locally. It is also very easy to use. No user configuration is required. The built-in policies allow most common accesses without bothering users with endless warnings.
The link to all this is: http://www.sensiveguard.com/ It is configurable, it's rule-based like most similar products. Sadly, Ralph and I are outta luck - it's for Win2K and XP only. Sad

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Nov. 30, 2005, 08:06 PM

Trying it out for a few days now; it is pretty good. Gonna keep it for a while.
Thanks for the tip.

besafe
Nov. 30, 2005, 09:04 PM

Looks good, we need more rule-based firewalls.

But it seems...a little "all over the place" for me.

I'll wait for another version to come out Wink
Visit this user's website
Nov. 30, 2005, 11:24 PM

Thanks Oddyssey for the heads up and keeping me in mind . I was about to dl it when I saw the last sentence . Sometimes I feel really strange when I say I'm on Windows 98se . I was shopping for a left handed wireless mouse last weekend and when asked what system I was on , the guy thought I was from outer space when I said Win 98 . But I am satisfied with my system and Win XP would take me forever to learn .
Dec. 01, 2005, 01:05 AM

You would be surprised how easy XP is. I have talked all of my computer illiterate friends and relatives into using it and have virtually put an end to the endless calls for help. It is so much more stable, and it is more difficult for the uninitiated to get themselves into trouble. You can leave it running for days or weeks without rebooting if you want. I have to say that I really dislike any version of win 98; nothing but a pain in the butt.
Left handed mouse? I use my wireless mouse most of the time with my left hand; but equally as well with my right. Never thought about buying a left handed mouse.

Kye-U;
What do you mean by a "all over the place" ?
Dec. 01, 2005, 01:41 AM

BeSafe , I did look into upgrading to Win XP from Win98 a couple of years ago , but my older printer and scanner would not work ; Logtech has a new mouse " Lazer 1000 " but it is not ambidextrous in design . Same with Microsoft's new mice . I am using a wired Microsoft Intellimouse Optical which is fine but would like a wireless .
Dec. 01, 2005, 02:24 AM

Ralph;
When I have the mouse on the right side of the keyboard, it's right handed; on the left side of the keyboard, it's left handed.
Old printers aren't worth keeping to me; I actually buy a new printer when the ink cartridges run out, as it is usually cheaper to get a new printer (on sale) than replace the cartridges. I will replace black cartridges occasionally. (I give away the old printer) The printers now days, even the cheap ones, have very good print quality.
Dec. 01, 2005, 10:15 AM

besafe;

Interesting, what you said about tossing printers when it's time to change cartridges. Do you also practice that policy with your Yugo, when it's time to change the oil? Crazy Shock

I won't be moving to any "phone-homeware" anytime soon. Microsoft has no business treating me as if I were a criminal before they've even accused me directly of such an act. And yes, I had my hands on one of the infamous 'leaked serial number' copies that installed just fine. Found nothing to keep me interested, went back to what's been working for umpty-squat years, sans trouble. And my printer is less than a year old, but works just fine.

~!~!~!~!~!~!~
Ralph, unless you're using that printer for DOS stuff, then you really should consider a under-$100 product from any of the Big Three. Not to make it easier to upgrade to XP, but to make the cost of your consumables go way down. Cheers Those older cartridges are heading down the same path as the dodo bird, my friend. Eek

But stick with your current mouse, just like I'm doing. (Hey, we left-handers are the only ones in our right minds!! Smile! ) Logitech is OK, if you're on an anti-Microsoft kick, but otherwise, why bother?

Oddysey

Dec. 01, 2005, 01:35 PM

Oddysey Wrote:besafe;

Interesting, what you said about tossing printers when it's time to change cartridges. Do you also practice that policy with your Yugo, when it's time to change the oil? Crazy Shock

I won't be moving to any "phone-homeware" anytime soon. Microsoft has no business treating me as if I were a criminal before they've even accused me directly of such an act. And yes, I had my hands on one of the infamous 'leaked serial number' copies that installed just fine. Found nothing to keep me interested, went back to what's been working for umpty-squat years, sans trouble. And my printer is less than a year old, but works just fine.

~!~!~!~!~!~!~
Ralph, unless you're using that printer for DOS stuff, then you really should consider a under-$100 product from any of the Big Three. Not to make it easier to upgrade to XP, but to make the cost of your consumables go way down. Cheers Those older cartridges are heading down the same path as the dodo bird, my friend. Eek

But stick with your current mouse, just like I'm doing. (Hey, we left-handers are the only ones in our right minds!! Smile! ) Logitech is OK, if you're on an anti-Microsoft kick, but otherwise, why bother?

Oddysey

Yeah; it would probably be cheaper to get another Yugo than to fix one. Printers are unbelievably cheap these days. I just bought my son a new printer (the cartridges for his old one were $150) for $49CDN after rebates, coupons etc. The ironic thing is that for plain text, his new simple printer is better in his opinion. Photos are cheaper to upload and get printed than to print yourself; so we don't need the expensive printers any more.Crazy
"phone-homeware" just disconnect the phone line. The firewall you posted can do it.
If you're happy with what you've got, then more power to you. You are very adept at using pc's. For people a little less capable, XP is ideal. XP is well worth it to me; espescially for friends and family that were forever calling me with problems before I got them to switch. It's more stable, installs drivers better, protects system files better, has tons of software supported, networking is easier and on and on.
I'm kind of ambidextrous; I do some things with my right hand, some with my left, and some either way depending on my mood. I do prefer using my mouse with my left hand most of the time though.
Dec. 01, 2005, 01:57 PM

I did recently purchase a Canon PIXMA iP4000 to replace my HP "web tv " printer which made so much noise and shook the desktop ; I just couldn't take any longer ! My system has been running very smooth for a long time so why change ? I usually do a backup image two or three times a week so when I do run into trouble I just return to a previous image .
Dec. 01, 2005, 07:52 PM

Stay with whatever you are comfortable with. I will never go back to any version of win 98. I'll use XP until something better comes along, then I'll likely switch.
Dec. 02, 2005, 01:26 AM

besafe;
Quote:XP is well worth it to me; espescially for friends and family that were forever calling me with problems before I got them to switch.
That's where I just pull a page out of the Official Curmudgeon's Handbook, and scream Microphone at them until they're so embarrassed, they just never come around any more. Rocker Damned mooches and freeloaders! Cry

(Note to Igraz: was that one of your no-no words? Sorry 'bout that. Sad )

The one time I tried to fix a friend's problem with a failing hard drive, on a fairly new Dell with XP Home, it took me the better part of a day to explain what I was doing (installing a lot of testing stuff so that I could dope out what was really wrong, instead of just guessing), and after I had erased all my tools and gone home, I still heard nothing but crap from her for the next two months. I finally unloaded on her Mad with Teeth, and ever since then, she's been real nice to me. Wonder why that is? Shock

But enough of that, you're correct, to each his own. I like it like that. Wink

Oddysey

Dec. 03, 2005, 04:00 AM

I play dumb and pretend I don't know how to fix their problems sometimes. Santa Claus I will fix problems with close people who do things for me and don't try and take advantage. Or I get them to buy Dell and when they have a problem, I tell them to call them because if I do something it will void the warranty. Cool
Mar. 23, 2006, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the info "Oddysey",
Just downloaded and installed, . . .I like the user friendly features. My pages seem to load faster than the sysgate firewall that I have been testing. Will keep you posted,
Later,
"JaK"
Mar. 23, 2006, 07:49 AM

Oddysey,
Quote:But stick with your current mouse, just like I'm doing. (Hey, we left-handers are the only ones in our right minds!! Smile[Smile] ) Logitech is OK, if you're on an anti-Microsoft kick, but otherwise, why bother?

I really like my Kensington trackball. I am right-handed, but it could be used left-handed since this trackball is symmetrical and programmable, so the buttons can be set up any way you want them. I also like the fact that it has 4 buttons.