Stops filtering
Mar. 08, 2006, 03:21 PM

With the exception of Kye-U all the other sites I frequent -- filtering does not work using Proxo. On Kye-U site I get the benefit of topic contraction etc Smile!

The sites that I initially will go too to see if Proxo is working for me are as follows:

http://www.dslreports.com/
http://ragingbull.lycos.com/

Both of these sites are full of advertising CRAP -- so they are the ones that make for a good test of Proxo's filtering capabilities from my perspective.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 08, 2006, 03:48 PM

but after you visit these SWC's (sites with crap, lol) and return to Kye-U's site, for example, Kye-U's site *continues* to be filtered as expected?
Mar. 08, 2006, 03:54 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:but after you visit these SWC's (sites with crap, lol) and return to Kye-U's site, for example, Kye-U's site *continues* to be filtered as expected?
Yes.
Mar. 08, 2006, 04:12 PM

er, then it doesn't seem to me that Proxo has "stopped filtering", but only filtering to lesser 'expectations' on those SWC's...
Mar. 08, 2006, 04:24 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:er, then it doesn't seem to me that Proxo has "stopped filtering", but only filtering to lesser 'expectations' on those SWC's...
OK you are correct .... but it's the junk filtering that's important to me -- the other stuff done so well by Proxo is a fringe benefit Smile!

Anyway, appreciate your help.

With AddSubtract Pro -- I'm not seeing that CRAP anywhere [lol] so I?m happy to use it. I am now resigned to the fact that I'll be using AddSubtract Pro to filter out the junk ... AddSubtract Pro is actually very quick ... much quicker than Proxo [my perception is that its at least twice as fast if not more] ... but the granularity of control that Proxo provides is not there.
Mar. 08, 2006, 04:47 PM

mozerd Wrote:
ProxRocks Wrote:er, then it doesn't seem to me that Proxo has "stopped filtering", but only filtering to lesser 'expectations' on those SWC's...
OK you are correct .... but it's the junk filtering that's important to me -- the other stuff done so well by Proxo is a fringe benefit Smile!
difference being is that myself and others were trying to replicate Proxo "stopping" altogether...
but what we have is that Proxo has not "stopped filtering" - so we were chasing a mythical dragon, so to speak...

nonetheless, on to our next little trial...

what happens if you disable javascript for those SWC's?
or what about the Randomizers: Return Constant filter - does it aid your cause any if enabled (while allowing javascript)?
Mar. 08, 2006, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 08, 2006 06:22 PM by mozerd.)

ProxRocks Wrote:what happens if you disable JavaScript for those SWC's?
using sidki?s config set [latest] if I go to any one of the SWC sites then click on an empty spot I normally [when filtering is workin for me] get to see a small light-blue triangle that when clicked opens up a menu selection that has a host of options --- one of those options is the ability to allow JavaScript -- however when the proxo stops filtering for me that small light-blue triangle does not appear. It does appear when I am on the Kye-U site. So to answer you question in the current state I am not able to select that option. There are some script blocking options in the "Edit Header Filter" selection and when enabled has no effect.
ProxRocks Wrote:or what about the Randomizers: Return Constant filter - does it aid your cause any if enabled (while allowing javascript)?
Where do I find that option?

[EDIT] OOPS -- made a mistake in my comment above --- it not disable --- it ALLOW JavaScript. Sorry.
Mar. 08, 2006, 06:20 PM

mozerd Wrote:
ProxRocks Wrote:or what about the Randomizers: Return Constant filter - does it aid your cause any if enabled (while allowing javascript)?
Where do I find that option?
if you go to Edit Web Page Filters and then type random into the Find: box, it will be the only filter in the list - enable it and see what that does for you on the SWC's...

ps - the "triangle" not showing up on a page does *not* mean that the page isn't getting filtered...
it merely means that the "pre-requisites" have not been met for the config to place that triangle onto the page...
Mar. 08, 2006, 06:36 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:if you go to Edit Web Page Filters and then type random into the Find: box, it will be the only filter in the list - enable it and see what that does for you on the SWC's...
OK I found it, tried it and the outcome was exactly the same.
ProxRocks Wrote:ps - the "triangle" not showing up on a page does *not* mean that the page isn't getting filtered...
it merely means that the "pre-requisites" have not been met for the config to place that triangle onto the page...
What are the "pre-requisites"?

Each time I use the Kye-U site that "triangle" never fails to appear when I click anywhere on the page. But on the SWC sites the opposite is true ONLY when Proxo is not filtering the crap out. None of the SWC sites are in my ByPass list or any other list that sidkis config is utilizing within my Proxo folder.
Mar. 08, 2006, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 08, 2006 06:51 PM by ProxRocks.)

mozerd Wrote:What are the "pre-requisites"?
the triangle is designed in a way to only show on the "main" portion of a website...
if the site contains frames or iframes, only the largest "box" will contain the triangle...
if the site is broken into several frames and the largest "box" is 'too small' for the triangle's flyover box, then the triangle is disabled on that site - but that in no way implies that the site isn't being "filtered"...

edit: there are no frames or iframes on Kye-U's site, so the triangle will *always* be there...
Mar. 08, 2006, 06:49 PM

how about some screen-cap images of what you are calling "filtered" and what you are referring to as 'Proxo stopped filtering'?
Mar. 08, 2006, 06:54 PM

OK I'l be back with a couple of images in about 15 minutes.
Mar. 08, 2006, 07:11 PM

OK the following 4 images represents what I mean by filtered and unfiltered.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  ragingbull filtered.JPG (Size: 128.03 KB / Downloads: 660)
.jpg  dslReports unfiltered.JPG (Size: 151.82 KB / Downloads: 694)
.jpg  dslReports filtered.JPG (Size: 155.44 KB / Downloads: 678)
Mar. 08, 2006, 07:13 PM

One more image cause the previous post would only allow 3 images.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  ragingbull unfiltered.JPG (Size: 155.05 KB / Downloads: 641)
Mar. 08, 2006, 07:23 PM

looks to me like the "classic" ROTATING top-of-page banner-like ads (Yahoo does it too)...

while on the site, at least the dsl one, i only saw one image for the other site, hit refresh... is it being filtered? hit refresh again... is it being filtered? wait 10 seconds... hit refresh again... is it being filtered? hit refresh again... is it being filtered?

my "hunch" is that when you are NOT getting these ads and when you merely hit refresh, they "magically" appear, right? got nothing to do with how many "instances" you have running, the ads are ROTATING, some are being caught, others are not...

NOW - our next step is that we need the "source code" for a page that HAS the ads (ie, "Proxo not filtering") AND we need the "source code" for a page that does NOT have the ads (ie, "Proxo is filtering")...

what happens when you merely refresh/reload several times? (forget about "instances"...)
is Proxo "magically" working on one refresh and not the next?
or working on 3 out of 10 refreshes?
5 out of 20 refreshes?

edit: not sure if you'll need to clear the cache between refresh/reload...