Stops filtering
Mar. 08, 2006, 02:56 AM

ProxRocks Wrote:.ptron in startup?
Why not? The one Mozerd appears to use is
Code:
C:\Proxo\PROXOM~1.EXE sidki_2006-01-09.ptron
When Proxomitron starts it should load sidki_2006-01-09.ptron
You may need to change the path to the EXE.

ProxRocks Wrote:i don't have the .ptron extension "registered"...
if i place it in startup, my system will 'hiccup' (ie, hiccough) on account of not knowing what to do with a .ptron file...
Shouldn't matter. The info is for Proxomitron. But we are looking for a hiccup.

ProxRocks Wrote:did i miss something?
(i mean aside from what i know already to be true - me using different extensions then the rest of you, lol...)
Maybe http://prxbx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=724 ?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 08, 2006, 03:08 AM

mozerd Wrote:
ProxRocks Wrote:try one thing for me, please...

go to Proxo > Configure > check-mark "Don't use textures" > OK...
now save the config, exit Proxo, and re-start Proxo...
verify that there are NO textures being used...
run Proxo for a while and see if it "stops filtering"...

i know it sounds like a "long shot"...
but bear with me as we run this little 'trial'...
Good gracious -- GREAT BALLS OF FIRE --- your suggestion did the trick !!! The Proxomitron is now filtering all the crap out of the sites I like it to go too. Hail

Please explain WHY this worked ???

and ProxRocks --- thank you. Santa Claus

After I applied your suggestion and the Proxo was working the way I like it too work I went back and I toggled between "Don't use textures" and "Always use textures etc" and my Proxo is still working JUST GREAT ????? I would love to understand what is going on here.

and a little later
mozerd Wrote:Bad news -- my problem has retuned ???

Everything worked just great for about 30 minutes ... now the crap has returned and is not being filtered out ... Sad
What happens if you don't toggle between "Don't use textures" and "Always use textures etc"?
Stay in "Don't use textures".
Time for the compatability wizard?
Mar. 08, 2006, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: Mar. 08, 2006 10:52 AM by ProxRocks.)

when the problem returned, were the textures reintroduced?
or is "Don't use textures" check-marked?
(and "Always use textures, .." NOT check-marked...)

i've actually seen Windows hiccup on several apps due to image-related "backgrounds"...
although the vast majority of those times is when the "Display Properties" is adjusted to anything but the 'normal' 96 DPI setting
(especially any 'custom' setting outside of 96 or 120)...
Mar. 08, 2006, 10:51 AM

JJoe Wrote:What happens if you don't toggle between "Don't use textures" and "Always use textures etc"?
Stay in "Don't use textures".
I tried multiple permutations .... each stage done independently [where I do and don't toggle between "Don't use textures" and "Always use textures etc"] ... and with the brief exception mentioned earlier where the proxo worked to filter out crap .... I'm back to square one where the proxo is ineffective in filtering out the crap regardless.

Wish I understood --- why --- the proxo returned to normal for me after I applied ProxRocks suggestion ---then --- after a very brief period inexplicably fails to work again.
Mar. 08, 2006, 11:04 AM

ProxRocks Wrote:when the problem returned, were the textures reintroduced?
No.

ProxRocks Wrote:or is "Don't use textures" check-marked?
(and "Always use textures, .." NOT check-marked...)
Yes

ProxRocks Wrote:i've actually seen Windows hiccup on several apps due to image-related "backgrounds"...
although the vast majority of those times is when the "Display Properties" is adjusted to anything but the 'normal' 96 DPI setting
(especially any 'custom' setting outside of 96 or 120)...
On each one of my 3 computers I use the normal 96 DPI setting.
Mar. 08, 2006, 12:28 PM

i've placed the .exe .ptron shortcut in startup and everything loads up fine...
have rebooted several times and with each time, everything loads up and filters as expected, never 'dropping out'...

here's an interesting observation though...
when i run "my" Proxo, it runs without question...
when i run "your" Proxo, Windows throws up a publisher could not be verified Security Warning, Run or Cancel...

perhaps you may need to re-download the ORIGINAL Proxo and re-patch with Henk's 4.0...

have you attempted any RWIN patches on "your" Proxo that may have 'invalidated' the "publisher verification"?
Mar. 08, 2006, 01:27 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:when i run "your" Proxo, Windows throws up a publisher could not be verified Security Warning, Run or Cancel...

perhaps you may need to re-download the ORIGINAL Proxo and re-patch with Henk's 4.0...

have you attempted any RWIN patches on "your" Proxo that may have 'invalidated' the "publisher verification"?
I have not seen the security warning you make mention off.

Yes I have optimized my RWIN settings to accommodate my cable broadband capabilities ... but I have been doing that for a long time without any impact [that I am aware off] to proxo in the past --- my problems started in February of 2006. I use SG TCP Optimize and my TCP Receive Window settings is currently set at 256960

What are the optimal RWIN settings for Proxo in your situation?

Insofar as getting a fresh copy of Proxo and the patchesr --- I've done that and the outcome is the same. Sad
Mar. 08, 2006, 01:39 PM

hmmm...

i'm actually running the RWIN patch here also without any problems whatsoever...
but where yours simply says v4.5j + p4.0, mine says v4.5j + p4.0 + RWIN...

regardless, we can rule that out by the sounds of it...

it seems to me that all roads are actually steering us *AWAY* from Proxo...
something else only common to each and every one of your computers is causing the issue, or so it seems...

not sure what the next step is from here...
Mar. 08, 2006, 02:16 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:but where yours simply says v4.5j + p4.0, mine says v4.5j + p4.0 + RWIN
OK I am confused by your comment --- what application are you are running that returns a string v4.5j + p4.0 + RWIN OK

BTW, I am on my laptop right now and using Proxo --- I deleted my previous installation of Proxo and started fresh again,,, this time I m using sidki's latest config ---- guess what --- for now its working ---- ??? but its only been about 25 minutes since the fresh install.
Mar. 08, 2006, 02:29 PM

i just believe that if one is to 'patch' another person's work, there should be "some" sort of 'notation' written into the patched outcome saying, "hey, this is no longer OEM, Henk did the p4.0, and i did the RWIN"...

that's actually why "public" RWIN patchers have been removed from various download sites - because the patches made no effort to mark any 'distinguishing' notations in the outputted file... and thereby 'falsely advertising' as being OEM and of Scott's making, in essence...

but all that's beside the point...

let's see if that fresh install holds...
Mar. 08, 2006, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: Mar. 08, 2006 03:01 PM by mozerd.)

OK the Proxo stopped filtering as soon as I opened another instance of IE 6 ... this is the 1st time that I have paid attention to this behavior. So the 2nd instance of the browser set something off ??? Banging Head

[edit] just a FYI, I normally have 3 to 4 instances of IE open at any given time ... where each instance is looking at different web sites. This time I was being very attentive and as soon as that 2nd instance opened up the filtering stopped .... when I switched [alt-tab] to the 1st instance of IE and did a refresh that page also now revealed the crap.
Mar. 08, 2006, 02:38 PM

mozerd Wrote:
ProxRocks Wrote:but where yours simply says v4.5j + p4.0, mine says v4.5j + p4.0 + RWIN
OK I am confused by your comment --- what application are you are running that returns a string v4.5j + p4.0 + RWIN OK
http://prxbx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...rt=90#6326
Mar. 08, 2006, 02:46 PM

mozerd Wrote:OK the Proxo stopped filtering as soon as I opened another instance of IE 6 ...Banging Head
ah, now that IS interesting...
let me see if i can replicate it on this end - be back shortly...

follow-up: by instance, do you mean a CTRL-N to open a new window? if so, i opened up six IE6 windows and browsed in all six... None of the six stopped filtering...

although, even though i wasn't able to replicate it, i think this observance may be our best lead yet...
Mar. 08, 2006, 03:02 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:do you mean a CTRL-N to open a new window?
Yes.
Mar. 08, 2006, 03:09 PM

is it specific web sites that tend to stop filtering?
does the filtering stop only *after* a certain web site is hit?