MS Active X Alert
Feb. 11, 2006, 03:06 PM
MS Active X Alert
As most of you know I'm still running Win 98se with IE 6.0 . I switched to Opera 3 months ago at the recommendation of one of the members . Opera is great but there a problems on some sites so IE becomes an evil necessity at times . I have Active X turned off in IE and when surfing I occasionally get this dumb message:" Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page " and need to press OK to continue . I can't find a setting to avoid this message . A couple of years ago , I used a small program " PTFB " ( push the freaking button ) which did the trick but there is an easier way ; without turning Active X on . Unfortunately , I forget how the hell I did it . Memory lapse guys !
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Feb. 11, 2006, 09:57 PM

You can find it here:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_de...023,00.asp

Install, then run PTFB.

In IE, go to the page where you get that box, and once you do get it, leave it open, then open PTFB's GUI.

[Image: ptfb1ps.png]

Then, make sure PTFB is enabled by clicking on "Start Watching", and test it out Smile! (Go to the page and see if PTFB 'clicks' it for you)
Visit this user's website
Feb. 11, 2006, 10:09 PM

Thanks Kye-U , but been there , done that . See my post . There's another way of doing it without having to run PTFB in the background . I don't remember if it was a filter or a registry tweak . BTW , congratulations on your college selection . Best of luck !
Feb. 11, 2006, 10:39 PM

Thanks! I think you can add the site to your "Trusted Zone" in IE. All you need is the domain, for example, "kyeu.info". This will make Active X enabled for that domain.
Visit this user's website
Feb. 11, 2006, 11:57 PM

I use a set of three filters similar to these to either remove or disable activeX controls and java applets. Each has its own bypass list which you will need to create.

Code:
[Patterns]
Name = "Kill or Disable ActiveX Controls"
Active = FALSE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)(^$LST(allowActiveX))"
Limit = 1024
Match = "$NEST(<object,</object>)|<(/|)\0object$SET(1=<\0objectx)"
Replace = "\1"

Name = "Kill or Disable Embedded Objects"
Active = FALSE
Multi = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)(^$LST(allowActiveX))"
Limit = 1024
Match = "$NEST(<embed,</embed>)|<(/|)\0embed$SET(1=<\0embedx)"
Replace = "\1"

Name = "Kill or Disable Java Applets"
Active = FALSE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)(^$LST(allowJava))"
Limit = 1024
Match = "$NEST(<applet,</applet>)|<(/|)\0applet$SET(1=<\0appletx)"
Replace = "\1"

Edit: Spelling.

Get hpHOSTS!
Feb. 12, 2006, 01:28 AM

Thanks HP , I'll give them a try . Kye-u , I don't use the Trusted zone , except for MS updates which are very infrequent now in Win 98 . I wonder if allowing ActiveX is a problem when you are running Hosts , IE-Spyad , and a viral program like my NOD32 .
Feb. 12, 2006, 08:46 AM

Ralph Wrote:I wonder if allowing ActiveX is a problem when you are running Hosts , IE-Spyad , and a viral program like my NOD32 .

Actually you should be a lot safer using activeX with those but I would add SpywareBlaster to the mix and only allow activeX in the Trusted Zone and only for sites you trust.

Get hpHOSTS!
Feb. 12, 2006, 01:44 PM

Thanks again , HP ; I do have SpywareBlaster running and am behind a Netgear WGT624 router . I think that should be plenty of protection .