Defrag Registry on bootup Win2k/Xp
Mar. 12, 2006, 05:59 PM
Defrag Registry on bootup Win2k/Xp
Hi "Guys",
Here's a neat little program for Win2K & XP, it can be set to "Defrag" the registry everytime You bootup. Work great on 2000. You can find it "here" to read about and download.
Later,
"JaK" Cool
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Mar. 13, 2006, 04:57 AM

Nice find Jak! One question though, does it slow down the start time of Windows? Smile!
Visit this user's website
Mar. 13, 2006, 06:50 AM

Jak,
I have Page Defrag, and it is not just for defragmenting the registry files, it works on those system files which cannot be defragged while Windows is running (because they are in use and cannot be moved). I found it handy for defragmenting the page (swap) file when it got fragmented.

Kye-U,
Yes, Page Defrag does slow down the start of Windows drastically if the page (swap) file needs defragmenting. I use it (or O&O Defrag, which can be made to do the same thing) only when necessary.
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:44 AM

Hi "Guys",
The proggie probably slows my bootup time about 30 seconds to a minute more, but I have Win2K set to delete the swap file on shut down. The bigger the registry, the longer bootup time I would think.
I thought that this would be a nice add-on for a free registry cleaner. Clean the registry, reboot, and Page defrag, compacts the registry back together.
Catch You "Guys" later,
"JaK"Cool
Mar. 18, 2006, 04:18 AM

Defragging the registry on boot up sounds fine. But my page file never needs defragging as it doesn't get fragmented. Give the page file it's own partition (one for each hdd) and it will not get fragmented and you will get better performance.