another header rewrite
Apr. 13, 2006, 03:21 PM
another header rewrite
URL: http header 1.1(Out)
url=blank

I am using a proxy ontop of proxo, but it won't send http 1.1 requests when using a local sub proxy. To this is breaking the 1.1 chain. Can I rewrite this with proxomitron to do 1.1 requests?
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Apr. 13, 2006, 04:45 PM

Double check Proxo's proxy settings (HTTP tab) and ensure that "Send only HTTP/1.0 requests" is NOT checked...
Apr. 13, 2006, 05:41 PM

Yes, not checked. But how to make sure it is converting http 1.0 to 1.1?
Apr. 13, 2006, 10:53 PM

if you "log connections", Proxo will show the 1.1's (or 1.0's) in the log window...
Apr. 14, 2006, 03:48 AM

Well, then Proxo must not be able to convert the requests. per below:

Using Proxy - 67.76.169.49:9666
GET http://www.short-media.com/images/suppli...a_logo.gif HTTP/1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; InfoPath.1)
Host: http://www.short-media.com
Accept: text/html, application/xml;q=0.9, application/xhtml+xml, image/png, image/jpeg, image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, */*;q=0.1
Accept-Language: en
Accept-Charset: windows-1252, utf-8, utf-16, iso-8859-1;q=0.6, *;q=0.1
Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip, x-gzip, identity, *;q=0
Cookie: bbsessionhash=be5505b74ea123bb6de94c45093817d5; bblastvisit=1144986324; bblastactivity=0
Cookie2: $Version=1
Connection: keep-alive

+++RESP 3385+++
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
ETag: "34264-35c6-3d78f6c83bcc0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
X-Pad: avoid browser bug
X-Cache: MISS from localhost.slipstream.com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 03:45:26 GMT
Content-Type: image/jpeg
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Apr. 14, 2006, 01:46 PM

Proxo DOES do 1.1 requests...
But to the best of my limited knowledge on the issue, Proxo is not what DICTATES whether the request be 1.1 versus 1.0 - Proxo merely "passes" those requests "through"...

It is, I'm pretty sure, the BROWSER that says to the internet, "hey, I'm 1.1-ready, throw it at me" - and that is via the browser's own config/setup (it's an IE advanced setting, for example)...

If the browser itself is 1.1-ready, Proxo will pass those 1.1's through to the 'net - you CAN tell Proxo to NOT pass those 1.1's through and 'convert' them to 1.0, but that's really not a "conversion", just a "don't send the 1.1, revert to 1.0"...

But if the browser is only 1.0-ready, then Proxo will only "confuse" the browser if it starts 'brining in' at 1.1 speed and the browser itself can't keep up...

As far as 1.1 is concerned, not only does your browser need "configured" for it (IE, to use only as an example, defaults to 1.0, not 1.1) and SOME (not all) firewalls don't CARE if the browser is 1.1-ready, the firewall itself is "limited" to 1.0 and therefore "ignores" the browser's request for 1.1...

Hope that helps...
Apr. 14, 2006, 03:27 PM

Well, I do use TPF. But, I get 1.1 when using IE/opera>proxo. When I use the cache/prefetch/parental proxy between proxo and browser, I get 1.0. Tried killing TPF, no luck--Thanks.

Naturally, the writer of this proxy swears the proxy can do 1.1 and doesn't change requests. But this is not the case. Until he fixes it wonder if there is a free proxy to use under proxo to rewrite the requests to 1.1. OR get proxo/foxy/privoxy etc to rewrite the requests.
Apr. 14, 2006, 04:54 PM

what is this "cache/prefetch/parental proxy" that you are referring to?
Apr. 15, 2006, 03:29 PM

ProxRocks Wrote:what is this "cache/prefetch/parental proxy" that you are referring to?

I use Opera>myproxy.com.ua (pricey but very good, except the 1.0 thing)>proxomitron with filters and forking gif to separate external hosted rabbit proxy>regular hosted proxy.

While myproxy.com.ua speeds thing up considerably, even allowing instant IE page opening on current Opera page, it is converting Opera's ad IE http/1.1 to 1.0. Proxo isn't sofisticated enough to converte it back to 1.1. This would slow surfing with the free hosted proxies, in theory. I am poked around for two hours and failed to find a proxy to reconvert the protocal.
Apr. 15, 2006, 06:55 PM

degarb
Quote:
ProxRocks Wrote:what is this "cache/prefetch/parental proxy" that you are referring to?

I use Opera>myproxy.com.ua (pricey but very good, except the 1.0 thing)>proxomitron with filters and forking gif to separate external hosted rabbit proxy>regular hosted proxy.

While myproxy.com.ua speeds thing up considerably, even allowing instant IE page opening on current Opera page, it is converting Opera's ad IE http/1.1 to 1.0. Proxo isn't sofisticated enough to converte it back to 1.1. This would slow surfing with the free hosted proxies, in theory. I am poked around for two hours and failed to find a proxy to reconvert the protocal.
I don't know as I'd call what Proxo is doing a "failure". After all, it is just doing what it is told to do, and that is "send this out as 1.0", presumaby by some program prior in the chain before Proxo ever saw the packet.

In the grand scheme of things, Scott saw that some browsers, and even personal firewalls, were able to use HTTP 1.1, but that when they communicated with certain websites, things went to Hell in a hand-basket. Those sites said they could understand 1.1, but in fact they could not do so, or did it incorrectly. Scott programmed Proxo to offer to the user to "correct this failure of the host server", because some browsers of the day were not smart enough to do so themselves.

Had I been in Scott's boots, I also would not have thought in a million years that I would have to give Proxo the ability to convert browser packet requests from 1.0 to 1.1. After all, that would have been tantamount to saying that the browser could not be trusted to operate in it's own best interests. In hindsight, you may say that this was a failure on Scott's part, not anticipating stupid browsers, but I assure you, things were just as bad back then, and it's only gotten worse since his passing. In summary, it's bad form to try to correct a problem that doesn't exist at the time, unless you truly are omniscient and can predict the future.

Given that history, Proxo is only able to convert downward, not upwards. The problem it was intended to solve was the only problem of that day and age, the problems you are currently experiencing were not imaginable then. So, the fix is, you'll have to tell your "pricey, but very good" firewall (that was written after your problems were noted by the cognoscenti) to do the conversion, or else tell your browser to "get with the program", and start out with HTTP 1.1, and stay with that protocol.

Score: Proxo - 1, other proggies that miss the boat - 0.

Sorry 'bout that, but here, have a beer on us. Cheers

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!