JD5k too comprehensive
Aug. 03, 2004, 02:26 PM

1) Newgrounds.com -- looks like crap after JD's installation. Basicly, I want it to look how it does with the default config without actually using the default config. What do I need to change in JD's config to fix this (without bypassing the site)

2) Suprnova.org -- I get a REALLY loud sound when I visit the page, and I don't know wtf the sound is. I don't get it when bypassing, and I assume it's blocking the popup. Confirmation? I also notice that I get it when I bring up the page from being minimized.

3) Hotmail -- The "ads" which were formerly replaced by the default config no longer are. How do I get this back?

4) Star-Control.com -- Page won't even display. It indicates that it's fully loaded, but there's nothing there.

5) Can't save in Flash -- occasionally I'll be bored at work and play a Flash game. I can't seem to save in them, though.

6) Misc. -- Occasionally can't click a javascropt button. Well, I can, but it doesn't do anything.

7) Slow loading -- it seems as though I'm not chaching anything, with how slow pages are loading (particularly this forum). I didn't change the options in my browser. Is this JD's doing?

I'll try being nicer when you try being smarter.
Visit this user's website
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Aug. 03, 2004, 03:10 PM

a_s_b;

Good morning. When speaking of page caching in general (your number 7), there's a little "gotcha" of which you may not be aware. In point of fact, when speaking of caching pages for this particular forum, the gotcha is really ugly - downright Murphy-ish, if you ask me. [angry]

In the header of each request, there is a field called "if-modified-since:". The problem with this field is that when it query's the server to see if the server's version is newer, then the server will almost always reply "Yep, sure is - here you go, mate!" That's because the forums are 'live' - the content is changing constantly, due to the interaction of other users.

Of course, this problem extends to almost all forum/bbs/chat pages. For static pages that rarely change over several minutes or longer, your cache has a chance to do it's job (fetch pages at near-light speed).

It is conceivable that this header can be defeated with Proxo, but that would kind of guarantee that you would spending your time looking at stale pages, or so I believe. It's either that, or you'll wear out the Ctrl-F5 keys, just to do the same job as the header. But it is your call, of course. Smile!

You'll note that I haven't addressed any of your other concerns. Sorry to have to say it, but I don't use JD's config, so I'd be way out of my element if I said anything else, beyond what I mentioned above, vis-a-vis page caching. I'm pretty sure that others will be chiming momentarily, and help you out of your dilemma. Wink

Oddysey

I'm no longer in the rat race - the rats won't have me!
Aug. 03, 2004, 03:22 PM

Odd;

The problem is that it's doing it for ALL pages, not just forums. Elsewise, I wouldn't have mentioned it (and I meant Kye-U.com, not the forums. My bad.).

I've pretty much given up on JD's config, though, so I guess this topic is defunct. There's just too much clutter and confusion, so I'm basicly just going to pirate what I need from his config and leave the rest for the seagulls.

I am still, however, waiting for a response on how to get Hotmail working with my config. The fixes listed didn't work. I have the following (script) filters enabled:

Kill JavaScript Banners
Kill add-on JavaScripts
Suppress all JavaScript errors
Kill Dynamic HTML JavaScripts
Stop JavaScript Timers

Kill Nosey JavaScripts
Disable JavaScript (and meta) cookies

Hopefully I'll get a solution, since this _is_ my second post regarding this.

Aug. 03, 2004, 03:38 PM

What does the Proxo "HTTP Message Log" say when visiting Hotmail?

Me, I use ePrompter for Hotmail (and Yahoo and Netscape, for that matter)...

I "used to" use the web-mail interface, but for Hotmail especially, I got tired of having to tweak my Proxo config every time Hotmail changed something - which seemed to be quite frequently...

For one, I suspect you better keep ALL scripts in-tact for Hotmail, along with your referrer headers... Perhaps even so far as not messing with your UA...

Also, I recall Hotmail needing more than just "hotmail" cookies...

As a quick test, keep proxo enabled, but do not filter inbound or outbound headers - did that in and of itself improve anything?
Aug. 03, 2004, 03:55 PM

Nope, that didn't fix it.

I hate to do it, but I'm giving up on Proxo. At least for a while. It's just causing too many problems without enough solutions, and honestly, isn't really doing anything that's more than just "interesting".

Perhaps one of these days when I've the spare time to play with it I'll try again, but for now I just don't see the benefit of using a program that needs to have so many people discussing how to get the thing to work properly.

As such, my status here will probably fall to "occasional lurker". Have fun, kiddies, it was nice chatting with you all.

Aug. 03, 2004, 04:03 PM

a_s_b;

I liked the part about the seagulls. :P We've got 'em in spades up here, so I know how low they can stoop when feeding time rolls around. (Did I say that? :o)

I don't use Hotmail, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and give my best uneducated guess....

Several scripts operate to "ensure your privacy and security", or so Hotmail would have you believe. One or more of them is being killed that the service considers critical. ProxRocks is on to something - your log window. Disable header filters first, per his suggestion; then, if needed, start in on disabling each js-blocking filter. One of them is the culprit, but it's possilbe that two or more of them are working in conjunction. Only time and experimentation will tell.

Also, do you have an external (to Proxo) cookie manager? Is that being messed with by Proxo's cookie management?

Sorry to have less than a perfect answer.

Oddysey

Aug. 03, 2004, 05:00 PM

And due to the shear power of Proxo, now way in heck would I 'give up' on it just because Hotmail doesn't work...

Granted, Proxo is for people who want the web THEIR way, not the way of the web designer - especially those "flashy" web designers...
Aug. 03, 2004, 05:18 PM

I use JD_Advanced_A config and I have no problems with hotmail. I will not go on the internet without Proxo. I like my pages with no ads but will occasionally click on the markers to support a site I like.
Aug. 03, 2004, 06:25 PM

a_s_b;

There are times to lurk, and there are times to participate. Guess which one we'd rather have you do, at least while here at the UOPF?

Besides which, JD isn't the only one to write a filter set. If you really didn't like the default config from Scott, then you might try sidki's set. After that, it's up to you to pick and choose. You did say that you were gonna 'borrow' the desired filters from JD's set, didn't you? Presumably, that means that you aren't really giving up on Proxo as a whole, just on "jumping in with a fancy set of filters all ready to go".

But even as a lurker, ProxRocks is depending on you to bolster him when he makes his move! <_< Stick around, the party's just gettin' started. Big Teeth

Oddysey

Aug. 12, 2004, 05:17 AM

You could just put this in Your "By-pass" list so Hotmail site is not filtered, at least it used to work when I was a hotmail user. Smile!
Quote:[^/]++h.msn.com/*
[^/]++lw*fd.law*.hotmail.msn.com/*
[^/]++lc*.law*.hotmail.passport.com/*
[^/]++loginnet.passport.com/\w
[^/]++.(hotmail.msn.com|icq.com|hotmail.passport.com|services.msn.com|hotmail.com)

Best Wishes,
"Jak"