Awkward Windows update
Jun. 14, 2006, 09:12 AM
Awkward Windows update
Did anyone have a problem getting one of the Windows updates from Microsoft?
The download button was missing from the page for the jscript patch and the
download buttons in the table did not do anything when clicked. I had to
get the patch by reading the page source code, finding the right URL from
there, translating hex ASCII codes into ASCII characters, and finally
pasting the resulting URL into a download accelerator.
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
Jun. 14, 2006, 04:11 PM
RE: Awkward Windows update
I never use the online thing, I just have windows pop-up that little icon in the system tray when there are updates and download them through that. I just did it and all of them worked.

�{=(~�::[Shea]::��~)=}�
How 'bout you sideburns, you want some of this milk?
This fading text is pretty cool, eh? I bet you wish you had some.
Jun. 14, 2006, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: Jun. 14, 2006 06:34 PM by ProxRocks.)
I disable my systray auto-update notification and my firewall blocks all 'attempts' to "phone home"...

By now, everybody KNOWS that the second Tuesday of every month is "Update Tuesday" - I don't need my computer "phoning home" EVERY single time I initiate a new browsing session... Why "tell" Microsoft 20 or 30 times PER DAY that I'm "jumpin' onto the 'net"? That's what that systray notification "function" is doing...

In other words, "svchost.exe" is DENIED any and ALL access to the 'net...

Now then, having completed that "rant"...

I was able to download it via the download button - but did have to bypass Proxo...

My Proxo's bypass list contains
Code:
# Bypass for Windows Update
[^/]++windowsupdate.microsoft.com[:/]
[^/]++(windows|)update(.microsoft|).com[:/]
but I didn't bother to dig deeper and find out what else needed bypassed for the d/l buttons to function properly...

edit: removed extra space after closing code tag...
ps - might as well put that in here since the forum will give the post a "last modified" footer...
Jun. 15, 2006, 06:31 AM
I do not use automatic update. I do not have Windows Genuine Advantage.
I also do not use the Windows update page. I get all my updates manually,
but I had a real struggle to get the jscript patch (KB917344). I am going to be reading update descriptions even more carefully than I do already from now on, since people who allowed MS to decide for them what to update got the huge phone-home nuisance known as WGA.
Jun. 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
Regarding updates, this may interest the masses: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89

That's what I use for my Win2000 machine (I keep it fully patched even though it doesn't have internet access - at all, internet or intranet) [but who knows, someday I may decide to connect it to the 'net, might as well keep it fully patched along the way]...

For my XP, I create a slipstream install CD every six months or so...
The home XP never connects to Windows Update, I download the updates at the office and take 'em home on a USB flashdrive every "Update Tuesday" (which is "faster" than waiting for an AutoPatcher release, but the AutoPatcher release is indeed much more convenient [like for updating the parents' machine])...

ps - couldn't agree more about the WGA... to disable it (for those that let MS install it), xp-AntiSpy is a good tool (updated only days ago to 3.96 from 3.95-2) - http://xp-antispy.org/?lang=en&option=co...e&Itemid=1
Jun. 18, 2006, 08:06 AM
I hope everybody knows about the tool which is supposed to be able to
remove WGA? Its name is RemoveWGA.