Author Topic: Need help getting Proxomitron working!!!  (Read 2002 times)

mbrooks

• ICQ Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need help getting Proxomitron working!!!
« on: June 14, 2002, 01:31:45 PM »
I am having problems setting up Proxomitron 4.3. I connect to the internet through a Proxy server. If I set Proxomitron to use the correct external proxy, the Proxomitron test works and if I set Opera to the same proxy settings, I can still browse, but nothing is getting blocked. If I set opera to localhost:8080 then I get "Cannot find Proxy errors".

What I think is happening is the Proxy server has several connection ports so if Proxomitron and Opera happen to hit the same one everything is fine, but otherwise...

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Arne

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 1448105
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aflaaten
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - arneflaa
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 01:56:18 PM »
Hi and welcome!

Her is how my settings in Opera is. And if you can confirm that, you must have a look at where and how Proxomitron itself is connecting - which should be your external proxy server. (Only difference is that I use port 8081 for proxo connection)

Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne
Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne

mbrooks

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 02:28:59 PM »
Getting closer to a solution:

Without revealing too much, here's the problem (using made-up numbers based on yours)

Running Proxy settings Test in Proxomitron, the connection would go to either 127.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.3, so Proxomitron might connect to any one of these servers.

I picked one of these and set Opera and Proxomitron to the same server.  This might hurt connection times, but should get the software working okay.

However, I am getting very weird results.  Sometimes the banner ads will appear blocked even with Proxomitron set to bypass, sometimes they will show ads that I previously added to the block list with Proxomitron on.

Also, while the Proxy test alwas works, on the main window Proxomitron displays Active Connections: 00.  Is this correct??

Now what???

Arne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 02:44:36 PM »
I am not able to follow you now.
Your browser should connect to Proxomitron as I mentioned. Then proxomitron should either connect to the internet by itself or through the external proxy you mentioned earlier. Are you sure you have to use this external proxy?

Proxomitron should be set up to listen to the same port as the browser is trying to connect to. Here: (with the differense that this picture shows 8080 which is the default port which I have changed to 8081)

If you have to have Proxomitron connect to an external proxy you do it here by adding it:

Is everything fine so far?

Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne
Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne

mbrooks

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 03:36:41 PM »
quote:

I am not able to follow you now.

I am not following you now!

quote:

Your browser should connect to Proxomitron as I mentioned.

You showed the browser connecting to 127.0.0.1:8081  I assume this is the address of the proxy server you are using and that Proxomitron uses the same settings on it's proxy config window.  I also assume this was to show your default connection and not to show the settings I should place in Opera.  I have set both Opera and Proxomitron to the same server settings.  Therefore, as I have it set up, Proxomitron and Opera are both connecting to the same Internet proxy connection.  Opera is not connecting to Proxomitron, but to the same server as Proxomitron.  Is this where I am getting problems?  How do I correct?

Actually, I think this my be the problem!  I remember reading in the docs that proxomitron was supposed to intercept web requests and basically act like a filter between the server and the browser.  So what I need is the browser to tie into proxomitron's output rather than straight to the server.  No idea how to do this though?
quote:

Then proxomitron should either connect to the internet by itself or through the external proxy you mentioned earlier. Are you sure you have to use this external proxy?

Yes, I have to use the external proxy!

quote:

Proxomitron should be set up to listen to the same port as the browser is trying to connect to. Here: (with the differense that this picture shows 8080 which is the default port which I have changed to 8081)

I changed the default port in Opera and in Proxomitron, also. (your default picture below)

My form had a "Local connections persist for 10 seconds" box checked, which I unchecked, but it didn't seem to help.

quote:

If you have to have Proxomitron connect to an external proxy you do it here by adding it:

Right, I have this set up and when I click Test the proxy reports OK status and the server name appears in the bar at the bottom.

I can't get the pictures to add in to here, but on the main Proxomitron screen (the one with default in the title bar and active filters and edit filters) at the bottom, it says Active connections: 00.  Is this normal???
quote:

Is everything fine so far?

You mean other than that I think everything is set up correctly and nothing seems to be working?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out though!

pooms

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 04:01:08 PM »
Before you installed Proxomitron, you were connecting to the
internet through a proxy server, is that right? If so, all you
should have to do is put the proxy server address that you used
in Opera, into Proxomitron. Then you have
to change the proxy server configuration in Opera to point
to Proxomitron. As you said, Proxomitron has to be between
Opera and the external proxy server. So Opera should point to
Proxomitron, and Proxomitron should point to the external
proxy server. The standard port that Proxomitron listens on
is 8080 (although Arne used 8081 in his example).

When you said you ran the proxy settings test in Proxomitron, and
it went to 127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.3, that puzzles me.
I don't use external proxies so I've never run this test, but
it shouldn't go to those addresses. 127.0.0.1 is your own
machine, which would imply that proxomitron is talking to itself!
Normally "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" are two ways of referring
to your own computer. In the External Proxy Selector window of
Proxomitron, you should not have either localhost or 127.0.0.1

mbrooks

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 04:30:16 PM »
Hot Dog!!!!  It works now!!!

Thanks Poom and Arne!!!

I didn't realize that 127.0.0.1 was the local machine.  I thought that was Arne's ISP server address.  I initally set it up per to docs to use localhost:8080, but our servers use Port 80 so the browser was not working.  Setting Opera to 127.0.0.1:80 did the trick!!! (I should have tried that sooner!)

quote:

When you said you ran the proxy settings test in Proxomitron, and
it went to 127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.3, that puzzles me.
I don't use external proxies so I've never run this test, but
it shouldn't go to those addresses. 127.0.0.1 is your own
machine, which would imply that proxomitron is talking to itself!
Normally "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" are two ways of referring
to your own computer. In the External Proxy Selector window of
Proxomitron, you should not have either localhost or 127.0.0.1

I didn't have those numbers!  I assumed that those were Arne's ISP numbers.  These are corporate servers, so I don't want to post the addresses in a forum.  What I had, for example was proxy.somesite.com and Proxomitron came back with 4 numbers and Server A on the first test and 4 different numbers and Server B on the second test.  I erroneously put the 4 server A numbers in both the browser and Proxomitron.

Thanks again for all the assistance!!!!

Arne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 05:05:04 PM »
Glad it worked out for you

Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne
Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne