Author Topic: Hosts & Hostess  (Read 1704 times)

ree1

• ICQ Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« on: June 15, 2002, 11:45:58 PM »
I have been using both these programs for quite some time and was wondering if it was still necessary after installing Prox. I was also using WebWasher but stopped since Prox was much better and WW was verrrrrrrrry slow . TIA , for your advice . Ralph

Arne

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 1448105
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aflaaten
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - arneflaa
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2002, 12:18:05 AM »
Hostess is just a program for maintaining the hosts file, so it is up to you if you like to use it or not.

The hosts file can be used to block your computer to connect to the hosts that are in it; any program that connects to the net will not be able to reach those in the hosts file. Proxomitron will not filter more than the protocols it is supposed to.

Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne
Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne

ree1

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2002, 12:59:53 AM »
Thanks for the quick response , Arne . I read where some of the filters that are used in Prox are based on Steven Martins Hosts . Is it possible to place the entire Hosts file into Prox or will that slow things down ? Thanks again , Ralph

altosax

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 01:16:36 AM »
arne wrote:

quote:

The hosts file can be used to block your computer to connect to the hosts that are in it; any program that connects to the net will not be able to reach those in the hosts file.

yes, "our" use of the hosts file concerns blocking ad sites, but (if you think positive :) it can be used also to specify the numeric address of the sites. this helps a lot because your request matches first the entryes in the hosts file before asking to the dns server so, even if the dns server of your provider is down, you can easily reach your favourite site.

regards,
altosax.

ree1

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2002, 01:39:42 AM »
It's 8:35 pm here in rainy Vermont this Saturday evening . Do you guys ever sleep ?! Thanks again for the help .Ralph

Arne

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 1448105
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aflaaten
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - arneflaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2002, 01:57:23 AM »
Well, it is 2:50am here and I was just thinking about taking a little nap

Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne
Best wishes
Arne
Imici username= Arne

JakBeNymble

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2002, 02:26:21 AM »
Hi "Ree1",
          Welcome to (What I believe to be) the FORUM on the 'Net'. I use a program called Fastnet99 to manage My Host File. But it does a lot more things too. It's one of my favorite Programs. I does use some resources when You run it. But that's the beauty about a Host file manager, You Start it up, add to or edit the Host file and then turn it off.

I think of the host file as an address book for URLs. Let me explain:

Everytime You request a page, Your machine will first look in Your host file for the IP address of the site, if it finds the IP there it will fetch the page. If the IP is not there, it has to go out on the Net, find the IP of the Site, resolve it first, and Only then will it Fetch the page. So it can Actually speed up surfing a lot. Now on the other side of the issue, You can use the Host file to block site also. Since the You can manually resolve the URL to the IP address, You can just resolve the URL to Local-host(127.0.0.1). Now when this Url is requested, Your Machine will look in the Host file, Resolve the URL to Your Own machine and will try to find the page on Your Machine. I will not even "TRY" to go out on the Net to Fetch the page!

There is another program called "CIP" is another host file manager. I have used both, and as far as managing hosts files I think that both do a great job. However, I use Fastnet99 because of the Nice NetWorking tools and some other options that it provides.

Have a Great & Wonderful Day,
'jak'

PS: "What's Sleep??????"

ree1

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2002, 03:46:59 PM »
Thanks Jak , I dl'ed Fastnet and it looks really neat ; I just hope it doesn't have the learning curve of Mt.Everest like some other program I know . I find the Proxomitron program and forums just awesome . I have been leery in the past of programs which allegedly speed up your connections but we'll give Fastnet a try . My wife was asking me what I was doing since I haven't been off this computer for 2 days and I said I was on Proxomitron . She answered back what kind of drug is that ?!! Have a good day , Ralph in Vermont  ( where we have winter 10 months a year and spring 2 months ! )

JakBeNymble

• ICQ Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hosts & Hostess
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 04:43:04 AM »
Hi "Ree1",
         Sounds like a fun to me!!!
The Fastnet99 program doesn't really optomize Your Connections, it just help the Computer be more efficient in resolving the URLs to the IP address. You can make some registry edits and optomize You Modem and that will help speed things up too.
However, registry edits make changes "on-the-Fly" and most of the time there is no "Un-do" in the drop down menu. And a wrong edit can shut You down and not boot-up again! So most folks don't want to tamper with the registry much.

Here is a program that will calculate and will "safely" make the correct registry changes for You. And if You don't like them It will restore the default for You. I like the program and it's not "Spy-Ware" like many Modem Optomizers are. It's called ISpeed. There is a free-ware version of it here: http://www.hms.com/

I agree With You, there are some great programs here on the FORUM, but it's the Members that I think are Awesome!
Take Care and Keep in Touch,
Best Wishes,
"jak"