Author Topic: Proxomitron "mixing" URLs?  (Read 2047 times)

Jor

• ICQ Messenger - 10401286
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jor otf
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jor_otf
    • View Profile
    • http://members.outpost10f.com/~jor/
    • Email
Proxomitron "mixing" URLs?
« on: August 13, 2002, 02:07:57 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else noticed this:

when opening several pages at once, or clicking a link while another page is loading in the background, occasionally Proxomitron will cause links to be mistaken. Example:

I am at www.foo.com , in the background www.bar.net is loading, I click a link to www.foo.com/new.html , and www.bar.net/new.html opens instead.
This may happen for several consecutive clicks on the link, even after the other page stopped loading, and doesn't seem to end untill a number of seconds have passed, or untill 'abort' is pressed on Proxomitron.

It tends to happen in Opera, and Mozilla, sometimes it is even triggered by sidepanels loading. (MSIE has no tabbed browsing or sidepanels, so chances of ever working on multiple pages fast enough for it to happen are slim.)

This probably has to do with 'Local connections persistance', as it never happens when I disable it, and the links are confused for up to 30 seconds after the last page item is loaded on www.bar.net when lcp is set to 30. I now have it set for 5 seconds, and it seldom happens, but occasionally it still does, and is quite annoying.

Scott Lemmon

• ICQ Messenger -
    • AOL Instant Messenger -
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger -
    • View Profile
    • http://proxomitron.cjb.net/
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 06:24:16 PM »
Mozilla has a bug with persistent connections and pipelining where if you press stop in the browser, it doesn't close the connections it's queued requests on as it should.  This can cause future requests to use the wrong URLs as the proxy is still returning previously queued items. However I've never seen this happen in Opera (or Mozilla when piplining is disabled) even when test loding many things at once. Indeed, there's really no difference between loading multiple pages and loading a single page with many items on it (like a page full of images).  Every item on a page is a unique URL as far as Proxomitron is concerned.

Make sure none of your filters are modifiying headers needed for persistent connections to work properly (Connection:, Content-Length:, Transfer-Encoding:, etc.) or affecting the connection in some other way.

Also if you're chaining through an additional proxy (or firewall that filters HTTP) check to see if that's contributing to the problem. Many proxies especially don't have HTTP/1.1 support and can mess up connections when chained to a HTTP/1.1 proxy.

Jor

• ICQ Messenger - 10401286
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jor otf
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jor_otf
    • View Profile
    • http://members.outpost10f.com/~jor/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 02:19:40 PM »
Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply. I am using Mozilla 1.1b now, supposedly pipeling has been fixed. It still will happen tho.

More often I use Opera tho, and that is the browser in which it primarily occurs.

I use no filters to mess with the HTTP/1.1 stuff, nor an external proxy.
The only connection related headers I use are cache control ones, which the specific panel I use is allowed to bypass.

Perhaps I should clarify a bit: most often this happens with one specific sidepanel I use in Opera, which calls a Perl generated page from an external server every 120 seconds. Since this happens continually in the background, the mixing of URLs will usually happen with that server. Perhaps the log from that request may help?

Now as said it is not possible for me to reproduce this at will, but just by increasing the 'local connections persist for n seconds' bit I will increase the times this happens. 5 seconds appears to be a perfect balance for me, it only happens a few times per day now.

Attachment: otf.log.txt 19,61 KB